Sending txt msg with my movister cell to north america

kianahaeri

Registered
Hey guys,
I'm trying to send txt msgs to my friend's Canadian cellphone, but it seems that he's not receiving it.
How does the codes work here? Canada's phone numbers are +1 (888) 888-8888
do i put a code before that?
Kiana

I suggest you to call the argentinian cell phone company and ask them if they have an agreement with Canada. Recently I realized I wasnt able to call one country from Argentina because Claro doesnt have agreements with that specific country.

Roxana said:
I suggest you to call the argentinian cell phone company and ask them if they have an agreement with Canada. Recently I realized I wasnt able to call one country from Argentina because Claro doesnt have agreements with that specific country.

This seems highly unlikely to me. Granted, I don't know the technical details of how cell networks work, but surely it doesn't involve companies signing bilateral agreements with every carrier around the world? Especially with a country like Canada.

Who is your service through, Kiana? Have you tried texting any other international numbers? I assume you have no problem texting locally?

Andrew, it happened to me. Claro told me that they dont have an agreement with Austria and yes, it was so unbelievable to me as it seems to be to you. My first reaction was to say to the customer service agent if she was kidding me. I understand the agreement "has to be" between the argentinian carrier and the country.

FWIW I can text AT&T, T-Moblie, and Verizon numbers in the US with out any problem from my movistar prepaid phone.

I always receive the texts sent from Movistar to my AT&T phone in the U.S., though sometimes they arrive immediately and other times 4-7 hours later. Could be a problem with how you're dialing the number?

Roxana said:
Andrew, it happened to me. Claro told me that they dont have an agreement with Austria and yes, it was so unbelievable to me as it seems to be to you. My first reaction was to say to the customer service agent if she was kidding me. I understand the agreement "has to be" between the argentinian carrier and the country.

I believe you! Just seems very odd to me - and I'm not sure I entirely trust what the customer service agent told you. And like I said, I don't know how the technology works. I just looked up movistar, the carrier I have the most experience with, and they give a fairly long list of countries you can text internationally to. Austria is included on the list, and the 'a' list includes Afghanistan!

I've never had a problem calling or texting from any place I've travelled to, whether on my USA sim card or on a local one. Now I could see a problem if you're on a foreign SIM in a country that doesn't have international roaming agreements with certain companies. But why would a local company turn down the money? Seems very odd. I'll take a look at the claro website...

Here's the movistar page, for those interested:

http://www.movistar.com.ar/servicios/llamadas-y-sms/mensajes-internacionales/

I don't know about canada, but text message to and from Belgium don't get through, ever.

Only recently I get a voice message (on my argentine phone) saying that a text message has arrived. Then it makes me 'press one for Flemish,, press two for french" but I can't press anything (doesnt react). Then I receive this same phone call every 2 hours for 24 hours. :eek:

I keep on telling my friends not to text but they always seem to forget.

In Belgium they say it is Argentina blocking, in Argentina they say it is Belgium blocking.

Now we use Whatsapp. A lot cheaper and it always works! But for this you need a smartphone....

I text my friends in the USA all the time and they get my message right away, no extra fees or anything. I have movistar. i type in +1 and the number. For example, +13051231234 to miami.

katti said:
I don't know about canada, but text message to and from Belgium don't get through, ever.

Only recently I get a voice message (on my argentine phone) saying that a text message has arrived. Then it makes me 'press one for Flemish,, press two for french" but I can't press anything (doesnt react). Then I receive this same phone call every 2 hours for 24 hours. :eek:

I keep on telling my friends not to text but they always seem to forget.

In Belgium they say it is Argentina blocking, in Argentina they say it is Belgium blocking.

Now we use Whatsapp. A lot cheaper and it always works! But for this you need a smartphone....

Ugh, that's crazy! Sounds like someone is treating your phone number like a land line instead of a cell. What carrier do you use?

Back