Sense of dread grows in Argentina with difficult March ahead

No, no, Greg, no no no no. We are not going to drag that subject in here and start a big old screaming argument. It's got nothing to do with Argentina, and that's the rule. Just, no.
Lol. I was--rather poorly-- trying to make the point that none of this matters. What happens here doesn't matter. Argentina? Who cares? Ukraine? Lol. But all the international-expert busybodies here will fret as though they do.

Me, more tannat, please.

Lol. I was--rather poorly-- trying to make the point that none of this matters. What happens here doesn't matter. Argentina? Who cares? Ukraine? Lol. But all the international-expert busybodies here will fret as though they do.

Me, more tannat, please.

What happens here matters very much to those of us who have chosen to make this our new home. I don't have the resources to skip off to Tuscany or Thailand or Timbuktu or Katmandu.

Hier stehe ich. Ich kann nicht anders.

Well, at least Uruguay isn't invading. Or planning to drop a FOAB on Palermo. Yet!!

This turn of world events actually gives me more optimism for the near term here in Argentina. A short respite from all the self-inflicted damage while the rest of the world burns, is not beyond imagination. Plus the fact that western (or eastern) creditors won't want to burn bridges at such a sensitive time and maybe more lenient than they ought to be, the Argentina standing at the precipice, would once again, be saved by events beyond its control tilting them to its own favor.

Just think what a bonanza war would mean for food prices and raw materials if breadbaskets like Ukraine go up in flames and severe sanctions and trade disruptions start squeezing some major markets...

This turn of world events actually gives me more optimism for the near term here in Argentina. A short respite from all the self-inflicted damage while the rest of the world burns, is not beyond imagination. Plus the fact that western (or eastern) creditors won't want to burn bridges at such a sensitive time and maybe more lenient than they ought to be, the Argentina standing at the precipice, would once again, be saved by events beyond its control.

Just think what a bonanza war would mean for food prices and raw materials if breadbaskets like Ukraine go up in flames and severe sanctions and trade disruptions start squeezing some major markets...

See, now this is actually relating it to Argentina.

In response, it's an ill wind that blows no good. Food prices were already on the rise worldwide, and this may accelerate that trend.

What Argentina desperately needs is a leader that will re-establish her sovereignty over the rivers and the coasts, and rebuild Argentina's merchant marine. That will take a long, hard fight. The illegitimate interests that have usurped that control will not relinquish it easily. But it will provide an engine of legitimate revenue in hard currencies that this country desperately needs.

In addition, the central government must re-take control of the resource extraction which Menem foolishly devolved to the provinicial governments. Those governments, with the lone exceptions of Santa Cruz and San Luis, have proven to be weak and incapable of managing such control responsibly. Again, that won't be easy. The provinces will scream bloody murder, and it will take a ton of gelt to assuage their hurt feelings.

One thing that's often overlooked when talking about the Federal government's foreign debt is that almost all the provincial governments took on a huge load of foreign debt under the Macri regime.

What Argentina desperately needs is a leader that will re-establish her sovereignty over the rivers and the coasts, and rebuild Argentina's merchant marine. That will take a long, hard fight. The illegitimate interests that have usurped that control will not relinquish it easily. But it will provide an engine of legitimate revenue in hard currencies that this country desperately needs.
What Argentina needs is money to be able to get its creditors off its back and afford to keep on spending to maintain its status quo to avoid another step towards un-development. Long-term solutions are beyond the grasp of most / all decision-makers here as most of them are on the payroll of whatever short-term gains are made anyway.

View attachment 8104
Ukraine is amongst the top 5 global producers of: Buckwheat/ Cabbage/ Potato/ Carrots/ Turnips/ Cucumbers/ Pumpkins/ Rapeseed/ Sunflower Seed/ Berriers/ Currants amongst other things. It consists of more than 50% airable land - including 30% of the world's black soil.
It is also number 8 in the world of soy production - ahead of Russia to be the biggest in Europe.

Well, yes, that makes sense.
When you can't afford to make payments on your existing debt, borrowing more is absolutely the logical thing to do.

22 February 2022
lol, how the F can the K's trash macri for taking IMF debt then turn around and do the same thing? why are they still borrowing in dollars? i thought that was what was killing the country.

or is it because 2 billion is no biggie, we can handle those peanuts

Back