Shelf life of fruit and vegetables

I spoke with someone at my local store today about the canned tomatoes "conspiracy". It's becoming extremely difficult to find whole canned tomatoes in CABA, especially the good brands. The guy said, that it's become VERY expensive to produce them and that the price difference between the whole canned tomatoes and the alternatives is so high that it's not "rentable". Idk maybe he was BSing me...but just a data point.

I spoke with someone at my local store today about the canned tomatoes "conspiracy". It's becoming extremely difficult to find whole canned tomatoes in CABA, especially the good brands. The guy said, that it's become VERY expensive to produce them and that the price difference between the whole canned tomatoes and the alternatives is so high that it's not "rentable". Idk maybe he was BSing me...but just a data point.

Fail to see why would one use canned tomatoes ..? for sauce ? with fresh tomatoes available? Perhaps can use Tomato Triturado/Puree excellent

Please let me know

.1602203024112.png

i'm pretty sure canned san marzanos are widely used even by authentic Italians

i dont think i've ever known anyone to make a sauce directly from fresh tomatoes.

Rich One,

My guess is that it is a short cut.

The best sauce, comes from scratch.

The best sauce IMHO has some sieved fresh perita tomatoes AND sun dried tomatoes paste plus plenty of slow boiling with herbs and spices...

Canned tomatoes — from a good quality brand are better for making tomato based chili or sauce. I mean it’s fine, there are many alternatives but it so weird that something so basic and cheap to produce is missing from the shelves.

Back