Shelf life of fruit and vegetables

cbbsas

Registered
Seems inordinately shorter here than in the US or or UK, is this just my perception? If not, does anyone happen to know the reason?

Seems inordinately shorter here than in the US or or UK, is this just my perception? If not, does anyone happen to know the reason?

No they're here today and gone tomorrow. Only buy what you can eat for the next couple days.

If you're like most kioskos you can hold on to them and sell them like they're fresh.

Where do you buy? In our neck of the woods, Carrefour seems better than Coto or Disco but anyway we prefer to buy from outside stalls. The Ferria del Ciudad each week (check out a day and location near you) is pretty good but mostly we buy from the same local stall where they have nice produce and pick out the nicest for us without being asked

In the US people shop for fruits and vegs maybe once a week so these foods are bred and handled to look good and stay fresh longer, thicker skins, genetic manipulation, refrigerated trucks, spraying wax on them, etc. In other countries people prefer to shop more often and get their food so the fruits and vegs are more natural.

In the US people shop for fruits and vegs maybe once a week so these foods are bred and handled to look good and stay fresh longer, thicker skins, genetic manipulation, refrigerated trucks, spraying wax on them, etc. In other countries people prefer to shop more often and get their food so the fruits and vegs are more natural.
Mmm yes I know what you mean but i don’t think that’s the situation here, I don’t think it’s due to them being so incredibly natural, fear it has more to do with them being out of date already

Mmm yes I know what you mean but i don’t think that’s the situation here, I don’t think it’s due to them being so incredibly natural, fear it has more to do with them being out of date already

"Out of date" is a first-world concept. Most societies outside the US and UK have no problem consuming produce that doesn't look like its been photoshopped, so long as it's not outright spoiled.

If you are in CABA and close to Palermo, go to the Bonpland farmers' marketBonpland / Soler almacen or Mercado Punto Verde at Dorrego just off Cordoba, the produce sold there is ecologically grown, harvested the night before and brought in fresh by the growers themselves. Keeps wonderful for a week or two and you skip the middle man and don't consume pesticides poison and Monsanto garabge.

Leafy greens have the highest nutrient content the day they're harvested, but you need your own garden to eat that way. That's the only way you know you are eating fresh greens, etc.

I buy agroecologico and organic products direct from a farm every Wednesday in my neighborhood at Que Comes Cuando Comes. A bunch of kale lasts a week for a salad every day.

It's sad to hear that 40% or more of what is produced in the USA ends up not being "perfect" enough for sale, and gets dumped in landfills rather than feeding the hungry.

Folks in AR have plenty of time to go stand in line at the market every other day.

Have to admit I'm not a great fruit and veg person but my wife is.

Been interesting hearing her view on the subject. During our time in Glasgow she was utterly amazed at the quality and variety of fruit and veg on offer at any well known large supermarket...she was in heaven. When we came here even I noticed the quality and variety was total crap in comparison...although I have to admit I thought the beef tomatoes here were a cut above.

13 years on and I've even noticed they've definitely upped their game at the local fruit and veg shop. The supermarkets however still mostly sell overpriced crap that belongs in the bin.

Back