Shipping to the U.S. -- Advice please?

zarita

Registered
Hi, I need to ship about 2-3 suitcases worth of clothes and misc. items to the U.S. What is the best way to do this, cost-wise? I do not care how long it takes to get there. Thanks in advance. Cheers!

Pay someones airfare, and give them a free trip. Or expect to get involved in a nightmare.

i shipped an 85 pound suitcase of clothes and misc down here through fed ex and it was more or less a nightmare. it costed something like 700 dollars with Fed ex. then they held it for about 50 pesos a day because i had a "used electric razor" inside. when i went to Ezeiza to deal with it fed ex no longer had my bag but the AR customs did and i had to scramble for 2 1/2 hours between 3 offices before they closed for the day getting seemingly worthless but necessary signatures and stamps on my paperwork until i told to pay my fine. then i had to go to 3 or 4 more people to actually retrieve the bag. when i actually got the bag and they opened it in front of me they didnt know what they were looking for or why they were really holding the bag, i could see it in the guy's face, and when i told him it was just my luggage he just let me go with it never mentioning a razor. so i believe the whole reason it was in customs was because it was a heavy bag and they didnt want to deliver it or really deal with it at all so they make me come down and get it and charge me until i do.

seriously try and have a friend bring stuff down here but if not ship as little as you can. and dont ship oversized things like i did, keep it below 50 lbs maybe around 30-40 at most. not sure the cost on it.

hope this helps!

RandallBass said:
i shipped an 85 pound suitcase of clothes and misc down here through fed ex and it was more or less a nightmare. it costed something like 700 dollars with Fed ex. then they held it for about 50 pesos a day because i had a "used electric razor" inside. when i went to Ezeiza to deal with it fed ex no longer had my bag but the AR customs did and i had to scramble for 2 1/2 hours between 3 offices before they closed for the day getting seemingly worthless but necessary signatures and stamps on my paperwork until i told to pay my fine. then i had to go to 3 or 4 more people to actually retrieve the bag. when i actually got the bag and they opened it in front of me they didnt know what they were looking for or why they were really holding the bag, i could see it in the guy's face, and when i told him it was just my luggage he just let me go with it never mentioning a razor. so i believe the whole reason it was in customs was because it was a heavy bag and they didnt want to deliver it or really deal with it at all so they make me come down and get it and charge me until i do.

seriously try and have a friend bring stuff down here but if not ship as little as you can. and dont ship oversized things like i did, keep it below 50 lbs maybe around 30-40 at most. not sure the cost on it.

hope this helps!

I think zarita's goal is to ship stuff to the US, not to Argentina.

I agree with Tangobob. Paying someone's airfare is probably most cost effective.

I agree with Steve that the OP is looking for advice on the opposite direction...

But regarding the "used electric razor": when we moved here we had to list all electrical appliances with the serial numbers. So there is definitely something important to them about electronics coming into the country.

Honestly, probably cheaper to take it with you and worst case pay the excess baggage costs at the airport.

I will tell you that just shipping a pair of boots to the US was over $100 USD.

Back