Shipping to USA question

AmitInBA

Registered
Hello everyone.

We are moving back to the states and are having a really hard time finding out how to ship our stuff back to the US.

Shipping companies informed us that only Argentine citizens with US work visas, dual citizens, or foreigners with residency in Argentina are allowed to ship anything outside of the country as per Argentine law.

We do not apply to any of those. DHL can only ship up to 50 kilos and we have significantly more than that. We have been calling tons of companies that keep referring us to other companies and phone numbers. We were told that we would need a clearing agent but everytime we call a new place to get answers nobody seems to know what the hell they are talking about. Does anyone know how we can get our stuff back to the US?

seems you may need a forwarder to comply with the paperwork required to ship goods out of Argentina and by US Customs to avoid paying custom duties . Otherwise it will be considered as an Export from Argentina to the USA.

https://www.mudinmar.com/en/moving-to/united-states/

https://www.icontainers.com/es/2013/05/27/mudanza-a-estados-unidos-5-consejos-sobre-aduanas/

It seems that Tourists are not allowed to export goods or personal effects ? If you do the math adding , the cost of freight , storage, forwarding fees, packing etc, may not be worth to ship used belongings... ?

That's why so many foreigners who leave the country hire an organizer of ferias americanas and empty the apartment of the contents in one day. Organizers take a 20% commission of the total amount received from the sale.

I've been going to these weekend house sales for many years to find things I need at bargain prices.

We are getting rid of lots of things but there are some big things like musical instruments and equipment that we need to take back. We're still looking for a solution.

Seems a strange rule. I don't understand why they would want to stop you from taking your personal possessions out of the country.

All the best anyway.

Easy, frind an Argie friend that will do it for you!!!!!

I don't think that would be possible. US customs allows US citizens and residents who have been living abroad to send their "stuff" back duty free if they provide evidence that they have owned the goods for at least one year. I think the receipts for the original purchases would have to be in the name of the recipient in the USA to avoid a problem.

Even if that wasn't a major obstacle, I doubt that any shipping company in Argentina would be able to accept a large shipment from an Argentine (or even someone from the USA with temporary residency) to be sent to anyone in any other country without providing receipts in their name.

AFIP in Argentina might also want to know how the Argentine was able to purchase the goods in someone else'd name and how the funds were acquired to buy them in the first place. I believe that's something the shipper would have to deal with before the goods could leave the country.

Seems a strange rule. I don't understand why they would want to stop you from taking your personal possessions out of the country.

All the best anyway.

Argentine Customs Regulations allow for citizens and legal residents to ship out used personal effects, for a given dollar amount based on the period of residence. No regulations exist for Tourists/legal? residents to export goods purchased. Seems it would be considered and export that requires export documentation..

Back