Shock at the Supermarket

Isn't it charming though how Bsas is returning to old world values where women may have automatic washing machines, disposable nappies and steam irons but they have no time to work a professional career as they need to tour every damn supermarket every day to find affordable and cheap offers..ditto for househusbands of course...you see CFK cares, it's all part of her "model" but we're too stupid to get how advanced it all is....

fifs2 said:
Isn't it charming though how Bsas is returning to old world values where women may have automatic washing machines, disposable nappies and steam irons but they have no time to work a professional career as they need to tour every damn supermarket every day to find affordable and cheap offers..ditto for househusbands of course...you see CFK cares, it's all part of her "model" but we're too stupid to get how advanced it all is....

That assumes one can find the washing machine or iron or heck, even diapers in the stores. Not so easy these days.

Hi Stafford,

The canasta de semana is quite interesting, but I have to add that the weights are a bit odd.

700g of lettuce is really quite a lot of lettuce, while 335g of apples is probably one big or at a push 2 small apples. Overall you will get a lot of variety, but not actually a large quantity of anything (apart from lettuce).

I find that fruit and veg at the local Coto are quite cheap if I don't mind what I buy go with the plan to buy whatever is on offer, rather than specific items. I was quite pleased with the apples which were 3 pesos a kilo this week.

On reflection Stafford again, if you total the weights for your canasta de semana you get 8.875 kg of fruit and veg which works out at 5.63 pesos/kilo. averaged over everything.

I would expect to pay less than this for potatos, oranges, zapallo, pepino and about 5-8 pesos/kilo for most of the rest so yes, probably not a bad deal, but not that much better than Coto.

Apart from Rabanitos. Not sure what they are.

I also had a pate fail this week and was interested to be trying to spread a kind of solid sausage thing onto toast instead of the pate I expected.

COTO has overhead costs:
large stores
many employees
promotional fliers
which add up to higher prices.
Those discounts they offer aren't real.

Quaker Oatmeal (400g) is 8.49 at COTO and 5.50 at the local Chinese grocery store one block away.

A new DIA store opened a couple weeks ago in my neighborhood on Independencia and Pichincha. I went to check the prices and settled on the Chinese grocery store where produce is the lowest in the area.

I buy only a few items at COTO (Mexico/Pichincha). A loaf of Fargo sliced wheat bread (pan integral) is 15.89 and the other stores don't have it or it's more expensive. A year ago it was 10.99 Prices vary depending on the neighborhood.

COTO is the only place I can buy Philadelphia cream cheese at 22.49. There was a time when it wasn't expensive.

Sancor Yogs Natural Yogurt is one of the few items I purchase at COTO. On March 17, a 190g container was 2.59; on March 22, the price was 3.15 -- no small increase. I eat one or two a day, so this is an increase in my basic food bill.

anyone seen yakult anywhere? it is made in brazil but seems to have got caught in the silly import rules.

Hey, you guys are really shoppers. Pretty cool posts. I assume everyone knows this is relatively normal for Argentina (although I don't see where anyone mentioned it). Argentina has a financial crisis about every ten years, give or take. Inflation ramps up until the house of cards finallly comes down. In my experience then everything gets really cheap.

I don't know if it is always the same. My personal experience is limited to the 2000/2001 crisis but historically it then builds for 10 years. This is what hoarding the dollars, confiscating assets and all that is about. The crisis is coming. Argentines are aware of it and the ones I know to a certain degree know how to deal with it.

Arlean
Four Flags Journal
www.newsfromlatinamerica.blogspot.com

arlean said:
Hey, you guys are really shoppers. Pretty cool posts. I assume everyone knows this is relatively normal for Argentina (although I don't see where anyone mentioned it). Argentina has a financial crisis about every ten years, give or take. Inflation ramps up until the house of cards finallly comes down. In my experience then everything gets really cheap.

I don't know if it is always the same. My personal experience is limited to the 2000/2001 crisis but historically it then builds for 10 years. This is what hoarding the dollars, confiscating assets and all that is about. The crisis is coming. Argentines are aware of it and the ones I know to a certain degree know how to deal with it.

Arlean
Four Flags Journal
www.newsfromlatinamerica.blogspot.com

Could you tell us how to deal with it too? I for one have never had to personally deal with the craziness that I see here on a daily basis.

In December I bought 10 tabs of a medication for $85 pesos.
In Feb, the identical purchase at the same pharmacy was $130 pesos.
This morning I bought only 5 tabs, at HALF the dosage of the previous purchases, and it cost $100 pesos.:eek:

In Jan. I bought a wedge of cheese priced at $70/kg.
In March the same cheese at the same store was $81/kg (both pesos)

Just two examples I happen to be aware of. I try not to think too much about it... I don't think I could afford an antidepressant.

Back