Shopping In Ciudad Del Este

ARbound

Registered
Hi all,

Due to some major inflation reasons (read Avianca charging 10K ars for EZE-LIM)
I've had to swap out my destination for my vacation from work. Since it's still cheap to fly
within Arge and I have a DNI, I figured I'd go to Iguazu.

There's some computer parts I need for my PC and I'm wondering, what's the limit
to import/do they check/how is buying stuff/etc?

I'm buying things that'd fit in a purse/satchel (hard drive/processor) and was wondering
if it will be a hassle.

Any experience would be great.

P.S.

Any opinions on Nave/Navenet/Master10/Compubras?

Thx!

When you back through Arg customs from Paraguay/Brazil , my recent experience is that they x-ray almost every bag including hand luggage.

I am not sure if the limit is 300 or 500 , as I am never close to either.

I bought some small items for my computer and I did my shopping in the Vendome mall - there are many small outlets , all with good prices.

if you are flying local there'll be no aduana at the airport. that means that if you are flying aep-iguazu (argentina) and then crossing the border into foz do iguassu/ciudad del este by car/feet you'll only face one argentine aduana in the border.

Tecnically, You can only bring back us150. However 2 weeks ago I crossed the border just to go to the free shop for a couple of hours and they checked nothing at the aduana in iguazu. It was the easiest customs ever. That free shop on the argentinean side is absolutely convenient. In BA a perfum I wanted was ar$720 and I bought the same one + a deodorant for $420. Alcohol, raybans and cross pens are super cheap too.

Unless things have just now changed at the border there is no problem. I carry so much electronic stuff, Computer, peripheral hard drive, cameras, one camera worth well over $500 plus all kinds of gadgets. How would they know it isn't just yours that you carry when you travel? I've never had a problem and just within the last few months entered Argentina from two different countries on two different occasions. They didn't say a thing. In fact, they didn't open anything in either direction though of course everything, including purse, goes through the scanner. Of course in my case it IS what I travel with, but how would they ever know the difference?

We sent a cameraman up to Iguazu, he never crossed over the border but they stopped him at the Aduana and made him prove the camera came from Argentina (they actually called us up on the phone to ask, and that was considered enough proof). This surprised us because he did not cross the border.
@arlean they can tell if it is yours or not in two ways. First, if it has an AFIP import stamp or not (never loose those stamps!) and if not, for example you bought it two years ago in Miami, before you get on the plane you go the aduana in the airport and ask for a certificate (hand written) saying that the equipment is yours. I did this once when I took a camera over to Chile, it took about 3 minutes.

Pretty sure you`ll be ok. Theyre mainly concerned with multiple items that you intend to sell in Argentina. Have crossed the Paraguayan/Argentine border probably 10 times and have never had any issues. It maybe because they know i`m a foreigner, or that I`m obviously not selling on the items. I`ve also only ever had suitcases checked, personal bags i`ve never had checked or xrayed.

What is the best way to cross , Walking, Remis , or bus?
And the best hours of the day!

What is the best way to cross , Walking, Remis , or bus?
And the best hours of the day!

cheapest: walking
safest: remis/tour bus

iIf you are not familiar with the area and where to shop I really suggest you take one of the many shopping tours or you hire a remisero to drive you around and show you where to get what you want (a lot of people do this). You can ask at your hotel for a cab company or you can check on trip advisor

Where/is there even a border near Argentina and Ciudad del Este or does everything/everyone cross via Brasil.

Where/is there even a border near Argentina and Ciudad del Este or does everything/everyone cross via Brasil.

You cross from Puerto Iguazu , Argentina into Brazil and drive a couple of kms to the Friendship Bridge which links Brazil with Ciudad del Este, Paraguay

Back