Shortages and disappearing goods

Status
Not open for further replies.
1u1pxo44cqb51.png
I don't think you need to an economist to predict that lol

While reading this thread in its entirety, I came to the conclusion that all the posters must be Americans who have never experienced lack of material things, and are accustomed to getting what they want, when they want it. MSM covered the run on toilet paper and other items at the beginning of the quarantine in the USA when people bought more than they needed and caused shortages in doing so.

Last Monday, a family of two couples and a three-year-old girl brought their mattress to the entrance of a building on my block as their refuge during winter after they were told to move out of the pension room they shared. They probably couldn't pay the rent. They use the bathroom in the local COTO grocery store two blocks away. All they own is stored in a few backpacks. I greet them when I walk by. They have nothing, yet they are always smiling and have a good attitude. They live in the present moment.
Probably this family was reading our forum and then bought a steak selection box for 12’848 pesos which completely ruined them.

Of course I totally agree with you. Expats (especially here) are a very privileged group. So naturally we are complaining on a higher level. But sometimes it gets so extreme that makes you wonder whether some of us are completely out of touch with (Argentinian) reality.
132FD00B-C815-4B24-BA22-7FC2CFC3BCB0.jpeg

Probably this family was reading our forum and then bought a steak selection box for 12’848 pesos which completely ruined them.

Of course I totally agree with you. Expats (especially here) are a very privileged group. So naturally we are complaining on a higher level. But sometimes it gets so extreme that makes you wonder whether some of us are completely out of touch with (Argentinian) reality.

not nice to talk about peronists that way :)

not nice to talk about peronists that way :)
While reading this thread in its entirety, I came to the conclusion that all the posters must be Americans who have never experienced lack of material things, and are accustomed to getting what they want, when they want it. MSM covered the run on toilet paper and other items at the beginning of the quarantine in the USA when people bought more than they needed and caused shortages in doing so.

Last Monday, a family of two couples and a three-year-old girl brought their mattress to the entrance of a building on my block as their refuge during winter after they were told to move out of the pension room they shared. They probably couldn't pay the rent. They use the bathroom in the local COTO grocery store two blocks away. All they own is stored in a few backpacks. I greet them when I walk by. They have nothing, yet they are always smiling and have a good attitude. They live in the present moment.
This is a tough one Jan, but I would like to weigh in just the same.

I think most people (Not your millionaires, certainly not your billionaires or people of station or position ... have I left anyone out???) at one time or another have experienced a lack of material things. Up and down the range of wanting, the people who have more at the higher end have probably never, or almost never had to want for their necessities like someone at, or near the lower end of the range. Having stated that, we are all in the same boat more or less when there are shortages due to any number of reasons / circumstances. Could it be that a person who has had to want or go without frequently in life be better conditioned to deal with this situation? I think so. But at the same time, it really comes down to what the person of means is really like. Is the person greedy? Do they think they are better than others? Do they lack empathy and consideration for others? In most cases, I believe this is a big, fat YES! I admire and respect the person who has plenty and the means to easily do whatever ever they want or have whatever they want, yet, are humble and generous as well as understanding that lines and waiting are for them too. Generally, this person will be minimalist in nature, knowing that happiness and fulfillment comes from what cannot be bought or placed upon a shelf. This is a person who is very rich and unhindered by longing for material things. To them, living is more valuable than being well stocked. They are flexible and expand / contract as circumstances dictate, but never are they an embarrassment to themselves or in rare negative form for others to observe and comment over. And in closing, when the financially well enabled person observes the situation you have described, they open their wallet and give, in an effort to correct a situation. Now they may not, or can not do it with everyone they see, but they do pick their spots and help out in some way, because it is the decent thing to do ... even though someone would not do it for them if the roles were reversed.

As an added not, there is a level of stress and frustration whenever a person lives past or future tense ... the present is the moment ... it is where everything is happening. Now a natural born fool would be! If they were to not savor past times, or learn from past errors. Conversely, it is smart to plan for tomorrow as it will soon become the present. BUT There is a very fine line between living now and getting stuck in another time period. I feel those who use "NOW" in the best manner are so far ahead of the rest of the pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back