should i move to BA?

Yup. Even after all the recent inflation, my grocery bills are about half of what they were in New York in 2006.

Ashley, simple answer to your question is: Yes!

The experience of working overseas in a different culture and the opportunity to travel on weekends and vacations all while living on a comfortable expat salary should not be passed up. Especially while you are young and have no kids - what an opportunity.

I moved from the USA to Germany with my job in 1997 and have never looked back and have since not lived in the USA. Have worked in Germany, Australia, Thailand and now Argentina it has all been an adventure. Not always easy - it will be tough, frustrating, and hard to be away from all that is familiar, often lonely - but what you learn and how your perspective changes will be so worth it in the long run.

By the way I spoke very little german when I moved to Germany - really I could only say good morning and the numbers. If your company is considering moving you - it most likely isn't because of your language skills but rather your business skills.

All the best!

thank you all so very, very much! i have accepted the offer so.. see you soon!

BlahBlah said:
1 peso - 3, 70 peso

Movies 2 x 25 peso
Eating out average restaurant 2 x75
Eating out fancy restaturant 2 x 125
Eating out shopping 2 x 25
Clubbing 100 peso
Concert 300 peso to 600 peso
Soccergame 50 to 75 peso
Bar = 25-30 peso

What planet do you live on?
Or are you one of those guys who must drink 10 drinks per evening?

Because over the last couple of years, my wife and I have seen all kinds of live music, in clubs like Niceto, Notorious, or Thelonius, for $15 to $30 pesos. Add a drink or two, and you are still way below $50 pesos a head.
This is for a wide range of music, local and international.
Rosal, a great band, played on friday night for $5 pesos.
There are free bands playing almost every night.
Orchestra Fernandez Fierro plays all the time for $25 pesos, and Me Dara Mil Hijos is playing at CAFF on the 4th for $30 pesos day of show, $25 in advance.

And really interesting international acts play weekly for a tiny fraction of "300 peso to 600 peso".
Bad Plus was just here, at Trastienda, 90 pesos.
Animal collective a few months ago, similar.
Greg Dulli and Mark Lanegan are coming soon- 100 pesos.

as for eating- I cant think of how many incredible meals I have had, at places like La Cabrera, Sifones y Dragones, Bar Uriarte, Sucre, Standard, Casa Felix, for less than your $250 per couple- but its most of em.
Maybe its cause I dont drink $30 cocktails, but I find that the two of us can eat very fancy meals for $150, including a drink or two.
And we can eat great, simple meals for a lot less than that. Its not uncommon for us to totally pig out for $50 or $75 pesos.

And no question in my mind, most groceries are a LOT cheaper than in the USA. Beer is about half, most fruits and veggies are similar, meat is cheap, and I find my weekly grocery bill in BsAs is way below what I spend in the USA. A loaf of good fresh made bread where I live in the US is now about 7 bucks. Cheese often runs ten to twenty bucks a pound. Milk is currently 5 bucks a gallon for organic, and if you know anything about the US dairy industry, you dont buy non-organic milk. In many food categories, the US price is, in dollars, about what the Argentine price is, in pesos.

I own my own apartment in BsAs, so I dont pay rent, and I fly down on frequent flyer miles, and I find I can eat out, have tons of fun, and still live there for about half of what it costs per week in the USA, for crappy stuff up here. Subway sandwich and a drink in the USA now is ten bucks- $37 pesos- my 15 year old makes me buy them for him periodically. For $37 pesos, the two of us could sit down, in a nice neighborhood restaurant, have a gaseosa, some agua, a salad, a main course, and dessert- for both of us. And it would be real food, cooked by a real person, not crummy frozen who knows what, microwaved by a sullen teenager.

Entrada to a disco is normally 30 to 50 peso and sometimes more. 2 drinks which are not Quilmes cost about 20-25 peso each. That's already 80 to 90 peso

Subway is definitly cheaper then 10 dollar. Subway in BA is more expensive then in the USA. MC and Burger King as well. TGI and Starbucks probally as well

A concert of an international artist(Depeche, Madonna, U2, Oasis, Robbie Williams, Rolling stones etc) cost about 150-200 peso for campo, 200 to 300 peso for platea, 600 to 1000 peso for VIP

2 plates a person and a bottle of wine and water in an eclusive restaurant will cost you atleast 250 peso and probally more now

I would like to see some proof about your statement that you can eat out for 50 peso. 2 meals without postre in mundo spaghetti cost you more then 50 peso and thats not eating out

BlahBlah said:
Entrada to a disco is normally 30 to 50 peso and sometimes more. 2 drinks which are not Quilmes cost about 20-25 peso each. That's already 80 to 90 peso

Subway is definitly cheaper then 10 dollar. Subway in BA is more expensive then in the USA. MC and Burger King as well. TGI and Starbucks probally as well

A concert of an international artist(Depeche, Madonna, U2, Oasis, Robbie Williams, Rolling stones etc) cost about 150-200 peso for campo, 200 to 300 peso for platea, 600 to 1000 peso for VIP

2 plates a person and a bottle of wine and water in an eclusive restaurant will cost you atleast 250 peso and probally more now

I would like to see some proof about your statement that you can eat out for 50 peso. 2 meals without postre in mundo spaghetti cost you more then 50 peso and thats not eating out

Jeez!! remind me never to take you out :eek: :eek:

Back