should i move to BA?

I guess I am just not a VIP....
I have been going to see live bands since 1967, and I havent ever paid the equivalent of 1000 pesos to see any band, anywhere. But then, I have less than zero interest in seeing Robbie whatever his name is, or Madonna.

Anyway, you havent been in the USA for a while if you think fast food is cheap here.
I just bought, an hour ago, some pizza bread for my teenager- 8 bucks, plus 2 bucks for a drink. Thats ten. That was at a no name local place, Subway, Quiznos and the like are more.

Buenos Aires is still cheaper than the USA.

personally, I find Casa Felix to be equivalent to many $100 US per person meals I have had, and its $100 pesos per person, including 4 different wines.
I ate at Osaka on my birthday, in May, and barely broke $100 pesos.

Proof?
what, you want receipts?
What are you, the restaurant detective?
I eat at small neighborhood restaurants all the time, in non-trendy neighborhoods, for a lot less than $100 pesos. Often, price fixed for $20 pesos or so.
I'd take you along, but your attitude online suggests you wouldnt be much fun.

At a place like Vicente, in Coughlin, my wife and I might order one meat dish, one pasta, and maybe a proveleta, each eat half, and the food would be $60 pesos or so, for more than the two of us can eat.
Same thing at some of my other favorite neighborhood places- Rodi Bar in Recoleta, or Martita's in Boedo, Parilla Pena in the Microcento, or Ale Ale in Villa Crespo.

And, of course, if you just eat pizza and a salad, its a lot cheaper than that.

I have no doubt you can spend as much as you want, in any city in the world, and still complain- I eat really well in Tokyo for under $50 US for great meals, and heard stories of those $1000 dinners.
In Buenos Aires, you COULD spend a fortune on food, but why? When there are so many good restaurants that are quite reasonable?

Ries said:
I guess I am just not a VIP....
I have been going to see live bands since 1967, and I havent ever paid the equivalent of 1000 pesos to see any band, anywhere. But then, I have less than zero interest in seeing Robbie whatever his name is, or Madonna.

Anyway, you havent been in the USA for a while if you think fast food is cheap here.
I just bought, an hour ago, some pizza bread for my teenager- 8 bucks, plus 2 bucks for a drink. Thats ten. That was at a no name local place, Subway, Quiznos and the like are more.

Buenos Aires is still cheaper than the USA.

personally, I find Casa Felix to be equivalent to many $100 US per person meals I have had, and its $100 pesos per person, including 4 different wines.
I ate at Osaka on my birthday, in May, and barely broke $100 pesos.

Proof?
what, you want receipts?
What are you, the restaurant detective?
I eat at small neighborhood restaurants all the time, in non-trendy neighborhoods, for a lot less than $100 pesos. Often, price fixed for $20 pesos or so.
I'd take you along, but your attitude online suggests you wouldnt be much fun.

At a place like Vicente, in Coughlin, my wife and I might order one meat dish, one pasta, and maybe a proveleta, each eat half, and the food would be $60 pesos or so, for more than the two of us can eat.
Same thing at some of my other favorite neighborhood places- Rodi Bar in Recoleta, or Martita's in Boedo, Parilla Pena in the Microcento, or Ale Ale in Villa Crespo.

And, of course, if you just eat pizza and a salad, its a lot cheaper than that.

I have no doubt you can spend as much as you want, in any city in the world, and still complain- I eat really well in Tokyo for under $50 US for great meals, and heard stories of those $1000 dinners.
In Buenos Aires, you COULD spend a fortune on food, but why? When there are so many good restaurants that are quite reasonable?

I was there 2 weeks ago. Thank you for the personal attack

Want to bet? I pick 10 restaurants in 4 different barrios, we go out to dinner, both buy 2 plates, not the most expensive but also not the cheapest and a bottle of housewine and water. Any bil under 150 peso I pay, anything above 150 peso you pay

I just pointed out that a a dinner at an exclusive restaurant cost you around 250 peso for 2. This is fact, nothing more, nothing less

I take my kid to lunch, report how much it costs, and thats a personal attack?

My point is simple.
I know how much it costs me to eat well, to go out, to see bands in Buenos Aires.

I spend significantly less than the prices that were quoted.

This is not to say that anyone, picking 10 restaurants, could not spend more than I do.

But to tell a newcomer that it costs that much, as a matter of daily expense, I just have to disagree with. It is very possible to have a good time, eat and drink and dance and see great bands, in Buenos Aires, for a lot less money than some people evidently think is the average.

I do it all the time.

And, thanks, but I think I will pass on the bet. It doesnt sound the least bit fun, and the reason I spend time in Buenos Aires is because its a lot of fun.

I was not telling her what you can spend but what things cost.

That are just facts

Ries said:
I take my kid to lunch, report how much it costs, and thats a personal attack?

You cant win it on arguments so you try to discredit my words. Pretty cheap but that's okay for you

P.S. Pretty cheap as well that you wont respond to my bet, but that was expected

BlahBlah said:
You will be able to learn a sufficient level of Spanish within 2 to 3 months.

The only thing you can compare is figures, it's impossible to compare pay in the US with Argentina.

A decent life cost you between 2 and 3000 dollar a month

I've read your price list and your 3000 decent life cost and I gotta say you are either still being ripped off every time you pay for something or your life style choices are above average and that does not help as a parameter for ashflo.

I went to the number 1 ranked restaurant in guiaoleo.com.ar last week, 3 of us, wine, beer, water, different appetizers entrees and 2 desserts, it was 180 pesos including a 10% tip and we ate really well.

This is not the only restaurant like this, we've been to so many restaurants all over the city, we go out everywhere, we do all those things on that list and still I don't understand how you could actually say you need up to 3000 dollars to have a decent life in BA.

tangobob said:
Jeez!! remind me never to take you out :eek: :eek:

What do you think that the following cost:

1: Entrada to Sunset on a saturday
2: Entrada to Museum on wednesday
3: 2 x bife de chorizo(400 gr) and a housewine in a good restaurant
4: 2 entradas for a movie in Recoleta village, 2 cokes and popcorn
5: A speed con wodka in Sunset
6: A pint of guiness in Kilkenny
7: 2 x ravioles de ricotta menu at Mundo Spaghetti in Village Cabilito
8: Nachos con chili con carne at Alamo
9: An hour of internet at a kiosko in Santa Fe and Callao
10: A zumo de naranja y tostado en Puerto Madero

BlahBlah said:
What do you think that the following cost:

1: Entrada to Sunset on a saturday
2: Entrada to Museum on wednesday
3: 2 x bife de chorizo(400 gr) and a housewine in a good restaurant
4: 2 entradas for a movie in Recoleta village, 2 cokes and popcorn
5: A speed con wodka in Sunset
6: A pint of guiness in Kilkenny
7: 2 x ravioles de ricotta menu at Mundo Spaghetti in Village Cabilito
8: Nachos con chili con carne at Alamo
9: An hour of internet at a kiosko in Santa Fe and Callao
10: A zumo de naranja y tostado en Puerto Madero

Obviously more than I can afford.But if you do all that in a day it's no wonder you find it expensive.

tangobob said:
Obviously more than I can afford.But if you do all that in a day it's no wonder you find it expensive.

Where did I say it is expensive?

Back