Should we Brits be keeping a low profile?

The Argentine National Academy of History considered in 1966 that Rivero and his followers were common criminals driven by no patriotic feeling, and Argentine historian Laurio H. Destéfani wrote in his 1982 book on the history of the Falkland Islands dispute:
"This is the true story of what happened proof of which is stated in 42 documents published by the National Academy of History. Attempts have been made to create a legend about courageous gauchos who attacked and defeated the British, but this is just imagination. The truth as recorded in those documents does not authorize the creation of myths or legends"
When he was about twenty years old, he was taken to the Falkland Islands by Luis Vernet, to work as a gaucho. Conditions of employment caused discontent among Vernet's workers. They were paid with promissory notes which Matthew Brisbane, Vernet's deputy, devalued following the reduction in Vernet's fortunes.[2] On August 26, 1833, eight months after the British returned to the Falkland Islands, Rivero led a group of Creoles and Indians in an attack against the senior members of Vernet's settlement.
His co-conspirators were two gauchos, John Brasso and Jose Maria Luna, and five Charrúa Indians, Manuel Gonzalez, Luciano Flores, Felipe Salazar, Marcos Latorre and Manuel Godoy. They killed five men, Captain Brisbane, Juan Simón (foreman of the gauchos), Dickson, Antonio Wagner and Ventura Pasos. The population of that time, mainly women and children, fled to the nearby Peat island, until rescued by the sealer Hopeful in October 1833, who then passed information on the murders to the British squadron at Rio de Janeiro.
In January 1834 the British ship HMS Challenger arrived in the islands, bringing Lt Henry Smith, who set out to capture the murderers, who fled into the interior. Rivero then betrayed his companions in the hope of a reduced sentence

glasgowjohn said:

Penn, a champion of left wing causes, said he was proud of the alliance between America and Britain, but insisted on "the need for Argentina and Britain to negotiate the sharing of the islands' natural resources".

I think the uk has been open to the sharing of natural resources but not on sovereignty. Was there not a deal in place before Nestor cancelled it all?

well hopefully fifa puts a stop to the craziness. I think its against their rules to make the league political.

scotttswan said:
Was there not a deal in place before Nestor cancelled it all?

There was a deal to share hydrocarbons. There was also an agreement to manage fish stocks.

The current administration decided it didn't want to share. It decided it wanted everything, so withdrew from treaties to share.

The current negotiating position seems to be "mio mio mio".

High drama, low possibility of anything happening.

glasgowjohn said:
Sean Penn Slams 'Colonialist' UK Over Falklands

Hollywood actor Sean Penn has weighed into the ongoing Falkland Islands dispute, and taken Argentina's side in the matter.

I would rather take advice from an idiot high on crack than listen to Penn.

I used to hold Sean Penn high up there .Then like some other hollywood folk , he got all self centered and started beleiving he was actually important.
I liked him better when he was a drunk.

Port of Ushuaia refuses entry of cruise vessels that visited the Falkland Islands

Lietti said the bill refers to vessels involved in tasks related to the exploitation of natural resources, and “we consider cruise vessels have nothing to do with that issue”.

Furthermore “we want someone responsible to come up and show his face. All we know is the instruction barring the two cruise vessels came from the Provincial Ports authority”. He added the chamber was holding an urgent meeting.

“If the measure was intended to harm the English and the Falklands, the damage has been inflicted on all the people that were scheduled to work with the two cruises in Ushuaia”, said Lieti.

The "Gaucho Rivero" law....

words escape me...

So Argentina is trying to do to the Falklands what the US has been doing to Cuba for decades ??? I guess the only real difference is the Falklands really did belong to Argentina where as the US only thought Cuba belonged to them.

I'm interested to see how this plays out and if it escalates.

TheBlackHand said:
So Argentina is trying to do to the Falklands what the US has been doing to Cuba for decades ??? I guess the only real difference is the Falklands really did belong to Argentina where as the US only thought Cuba belonged to them.

I'm interested to see how this plays out and if it escalates.

How did the islands belong to Argentina?

scotttswan said:
How did the islands belong to Argentina?

Since when to the UK?

From English-Wikipedia (which is, of course, not completely 'neutral' and favours the British claims):

Controversy exists over the Falklands' original discovery and subsequent colonisation by Europeans. At various times there have been French, British, Spanish, and Argentine settlements.

Upon withdrawal the British left behind a plaque asserting her continued claim. Spain maintained its governor until 1806 who, on his departure, left behind a plaque asserting Spanish claims.

In 1820, storm damage forced the privateer Heroína to take shelter in the islands.[22] Her captain David Jewett raised the flag of the United Provinces of the River Plate and read a proclamation claiming the islands.

With right to do so as the Provincias Unidas claimed independence from Spain, which had asserted its claims on the Islands.

The rest is well known: 1833 the British came back and sent the Argentine population and authorities home by means of force. They resettled the Islands with British subjects.

From my neutral point of view, Argentina and the UK have about the same rights: the current status is well known, but if one looks at history it is a discussion without a clear winner.

My solution: UK and Argentina sign a treaty, Argentina accepts never to use force again against the Islands, UK closes that ugly garrison and sends the Prince back home, every Malvinense has the right for permanent Argentine residence/citizenship (for easiness of travel to the continent, using Argentine universities, hospitals, etc), Argentines are allowed to travel to the Islands without hassle (less hassle than to the UK), flights and ferry services from Argentina to the Islands, review of that unfair exclusion zone around the Islands, revenues from oil and what little fish is left to be shared 50% among the Islands and Argentina. And peace forever.

Back