Should we Brits be keeping a low profile?

jp said:
Of course. But few people include military rape and having their children abducted to fight as child soldiers under the list of things that make them happy.

Not saying its rubbish, just pointing out that good governance and happiness aren't remotely related. The study was about whether people were happy, not whether their governments contributed to their happiness.

You always defend the indefendible and the British empire has more blood on its hands than any other coloniser. India your jewel in the crown was divided into Bangladesh, Pakistan and India . These divide and conquer tactic is still common today with the tactic approval of the division of Cyprus and the destruction of 3000 years of Greek history in the North of the island .

The North of Cyprus illegaly taken by Turkey with British support is now a haven for British holidaymakers who have illegally purchased properties belonging to the original inhabitants the Greek Cyriots . I am happy that the courts are now acting on this human rights crime.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ay-home-demolished-losing-EU-court-fight.html

I don't see this issue getting that much worse, but if it does, I could easily see some violence towards people with British accents.

Do you really think that the guys who instigate the violence can differentiate between British and US and Australian accents?

From the UK side of things, there's really nothing to negotiate. They own the islands, the people living there are mostly British and wish to remain so, and Argentina has no new claims to the islands that they didn't have 30+ years ago. :rolleyes:

There is no amount of begging, demanding, or isolation policies that is going to change the UK's mind about the matter. Spain has been trying for centuries to get Gibraltar back... it's not going to happen. I fear the only way the UK will give up control of the islands is if there's a war and Argentina actually wins it, which is unlikely to happen for a whole variety of reasons. :p

Maybe if Argentina gets her house in order and becomes a significant and powerful player in the world economy, they can strongarm to get the islands back. But at this point in time? I don't think it's going to happen and it's a waste of time and energy to be focusing on the issue.

And seriously, do we really want the Argentines drilling for oil right off the coast? Argentine plumbing leaves much to be desired. :p Not that BP is any better!

If Argentina shut the hell up (and especially quit with the Comical Ali style presentations before international bodies) and put several decades of economic and political stability on the board rapprochement and some kind of integration would occur naturally. Sovereignty? well come back in ask in another two or three centuries of stability and bonhomie - can't guarantee much (I'm thinking rising sea levels have a better chance of forcing a permanent solution first).

Otherwise, if Argentina wants its toy now it can always submit to compulsory jurisdiction at the ICJ - such a mystery why this doesn't happen (nor is it even spoken of here) when Argentina has such indubitable claims recognised all over the world.

Amargo said:
We could of course also list the atrocities committed by the Bristish Empire or more recently by the UK.

Apologies - just to clarify I was referring to the Democratic Republic of Congo (where military rape and forced conscription is still happening), not Argentina.

More or less agree with the rest of your post, but I don't think negotiations will achieve anything. The Malvinas/Falklands debate is pure theatre. Only difference this time round is that the UK has joined in the theatrics.

Eclair said:
Spain has been trying for centuries to get Gibraltar back... it's not going to happen.

It was going to happen as Blair wanted rid of them and offered a deal with Spain to share sovereignty, only the citizens of Gibraltar had an unofficial referendum which showed 99% of Gibraltarians wanted to stay British and to ignore their rights would be against European and UN rules/laws.

Amargo said:
Granted, Argentines are not famous for being graceful in defeat, but those who cowardly attacked the filipino boxer in Mar del Plata were not plain fans and had other interests in mind.

See this.

It is this rubbish peronismo again.

Thats shocking, i doubt any international boxer will want to fight in mar del plata again!

also what's a 40 year old doing trying to compete with a 21 year old at boxing!

Amargo said:
We could of course also list the atrocities committed by the Bristish Empire or more recently by the UK.
My point is, the reasons named (Argentina being unable to run the country, or the atrocities committed by its goverments, etc) have in my opinion nothing to do with sovereignity.

As I wrote before, surely both parties have in their eyes strong enough arguments, but none can prove anything, as most of them are a matter of interpretation (each party interpreting facts accoring to their claims). That's why negotiations are necessary.

We could also talk about the good things the uk has done too, such as the British soldiers freeing Sierra Leone from the terrible civil war that had being going on there and helping them build a country again, but really there's no point.

UK can't open discussions as all Argentina wants to do is talk about sovereignty. (Its in the constitution that they have to demand sovereignty of the islands.) They would be happy to talk about other things relating to the islands but with people in power here don't want to do that!

Back