Should we Brits be keeping a low profile?

Gringoboy

Registered
I've noticed an undercurrent of animosity recently due to the ongoing rhetoric between BsAs and London.
A few snide comments here and there from some Argentines (only a handful) and some incredible online comments by many Argentines about the British, which I can't repeat here.
Today, thugs attacked a branch of HSBC downtown, which could be a prelude to more unrest as 2 April approaches.
I'm not suggesting locking our front doors and cringing behind them, for one moment.
The debate about the sovereignty of Falklands/Malvinas is and has been flogged to death; and will continue to be.
I'm curious to know what plans the Arg govt has for the anniversary in April, but can find nothing online so far.
I suppose I'm saying that maybe we should be just a little circumspect for a while.

On a side note, I understand why William is called Guillermo, but why is Elizabeth translated as Isabel?

I'm debating the subject on another thread. I'm trying to keep it civilized, and would in no way expect the British to keep a low profile (about being British). On the other hand, if it was me I'd think twice about supporting the British side on the conflict, at least in public, if I don't want to offend the locals and get a bad reaction.

CarverFan said:
On a side note, I understand why William is called Guillermo, but why is Elizabeth translated as Isabel?

Because Isabel is the spanish word for Elizabeth, just like Guillermo is for William

No, don´t worry about it. Anyway, I suggest you not to say anything positive about Margaret Tatcher in public (but again, why somebody would say anything positive regarding Maggie?). Maybe you can talk about the movie, and that would be OK. Btw, locals hate the Falklands War. The Malvians are Argentinas, but I don´t think many people approves the adventure of the last dictatorship. The joke that we always make is that if the military has been so efficient in Malvinas as they were killing our own inhabitants, the result would have been vastly different.

Yes I have also noticed this Gringoboy when I speak english with a British accent . I quickly tell them that I am Australian born and this calms the situation down .

There is a lot of rhetoric now and I will not be suprised if there is another war in the next years . Britain should give up their islands and save the bloodshed of many innocent people . For me the sinking of the General Belgrano in the last war was a terrible war crime http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/argentina/belgrano.htm

I won't hide, but I won't provoke either.
About the only person I can talk rationally about this is my Argentine wife who takes a very intelligent view of the whole issue. Sometimes we talk for hours about it, but we never fight.
I'm British, but I'm Welsh too, so I use that when appropriate.
I hasten to add that I am proud to be British, but I don't want to be drawn into a discussion of sovereignty in this forum or we'd be here till next year.
Perry, I don't envisage another war, God forbid.Unless of course CK decides to divert attention as in the 1982 scenario, which i doubt,as it would be political suicide.
It's a moot point as to whether the sinking of ARA Belgrano was a war crime, but it certainly expedited the downfall of Galtieri and certainly turned the tide of the war.

I think this thread has highligted an interesting bypoint, that lots of british buff up their non-english-britishness to deflect unwanted nagative atention. England has built up, very successfuly, an image the GB is england. Lots of schools I enter have GB labeled as england on their maps, alongside english flags. Birts dont need to keep a low profile, just enhance any part of their non-english gene-pool sufficently to confuse the harrasser.

walkingtwig said:
I think this thread has highligted an interesting bypoint, that lots of british buff up their non-english-britishness to deflect unwanted nagative atention. England has built up, very successfuly, an image the GB is england. Lots of schools I enter have GB labeled as england on their maps, alongside english flags. Birts dont need to keep a low profile, just enhance any part of their non-english gene-pool sufficently to confuse the harrasser.

Good point!
Trouble is that when I say I'm Welsh it seems to put them at a geographical impasse. But I suppose that's what you're saying really.

Back