Should you renew residency before applying for citizenship at year 2?

SecretShopper

Registered
I was thinking about this. If your temp residency is expiring at the 2 year mark, which I assume is the case for many, whether they had a 2 year visa or already did a renewal, should you have renewed residency before applying for citizenship? I ask that because obviously you would be in expired residency during the application process? Is that normal, or would it have a negative effect where you would need a lawyer?

I was told yes, that it's best to keep everything legal and up to date to avoid potential problems and delays.

If you are able to renew it, do it. Even the worst judges grand you citizenship with a valid LR without a lawyer.

It's about time I start thinking about year two. I don't think it will be realistic that I will be able to renew the student visa. Although I said I'd give it a try, I don't plan on attending classes. I listened in on the first class and it's clear that I won't be willing to do what's necessary to maintain grades lol. And I think it was confirmed that you'd have to show that you've passed classes or something in order to renew.

That practically leaves the work visa. I probably could work a deal to get sponsored. But I also think those are only 1 year visas and I'd have to renew right before applying for citizenship. Anyone know the details on renewing a work visa?

This was always going to be the problem with your plan. Good to get started early in trying to find a way around it. As has been mentioned on another thread, it is possible to "buy" a temporary residence as a employee of a company here. For a fee, you are set up as if you were actually working for a company. It's all fictitious, but, apparently, it works like a charm, if you've got the money to pay for the service these companies provide.

Other than getting religion, getting a serious illness, becoming a sportsman or artist, finding grounds to seek humanitarian entry or political asylum (or setting up that business you once were thinking about), it's probably going to be your best option,

The problem with student visa is the Roman Law does not allow you to go after citizenship with it, so, to renew it is pointless.
Regarding the fake work, immigration checks if you really works with inspections, it makes no sense. If they are “working” with immigration, sooner or later they are going to fall and you are going to be prosecuted. I defended a client in a Criminal File where there were almost 1000 Immigrants. Instead of paying for something illegal, pay a lawyer and go after citizenship straigh in a legit way.

Last edited:
This was always going to be the problem with your plan. Good to get started early in trying to find a way around it. As has been mentioned on another thread, it is possible to "buy" a temporary residence as a employee of a company here. For a fee, you are set up as if you were actually working for a company. It's all fictitious, but, apparently, it works like a charm, if you've got the money to pay for the service these companies provide.

Other than getting religion, getting a serious illness, becoming a sportsman or artist, finding grounds to seek humanitarian entry or political asylum (or setting up that business you once were thinking about), it's probably going to be your best option,
Any info on how to make contact?

The problem with student visa is the Roman Law does not allow you to go after citizenship with it, so, to renew it is pointless.
Regarding the fake work, immigration checks if you really works with inspections, it makes no sense. If they are “working” with immigration, sooner or later they are going to fall and you are going to be prosecuted. I defended a client in a Criminal File where there were almost 1000 Immigrants. Instead of paying for something illegal, pay a lawyer and go after citizenship straigh in a legit way.

Does this mean that the time spent in Argentina with a student visa does not count towards the two year residency (physical presence) requirement for citizenship?

Does this mean that the time spent in Argentina with a student visa does not count towards the two year residency (physical presence) requirement for citizenship?

Yeah that would seem to go against everything that's been stated. Seems hard to believe especially since a student visa gives Mercosur residency.

It does count, but when you apply you need to be working.

Back