Show us your money. Renting in BA: what's the go?

davidbpassey

Registered
Hola everyone.
With fair winds and fine weather I will be heading to Buenos Aires sometime in April and would like to get a steer on how much one might expect to pay for a studio or apartment, or perhaps even a shared apartment, for 3-6 months. I have checked out some websites claiming a ruin down on 2019 BA cost of living:
numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Buenos-Aires
expatistan.com/cost-of-living/buenos-aires
expatarrivals.com/americas/argentina/buenos-aires/cost-living
I get the impression a studio or 1 bedroom apartment should be available to rent for USD 500 or less. Are these indications on the money, or no? Any suggestions about how to find affordable and decent digs would be a bonanza. I'd be up for sharing as a kick start to the social world of Buenos Aires. Indications from the net are that a monthly budget of USD 1500-2000 is a reasonable estimate - but I see some forums argue that such an amount is certifiable madness. What say you?

Thanks a ton. Salados.

Hola everyone.
With fair winds and fine weather I will be heading to Buenos Aires sometime in April and would like to get a steer on how much one might expect to pay for a studio or apartment, or perhaps even a shared apartment, for 3-6 months. I have checked out some websites claiming a ruin down on 2019 BA cost of living:
I get the impression a studio or 1 bedroom apartment should be available to rent for USD 500 or less. Are these indications on the money, or no? Any suggestions about how to find affordable and decent digs would be a bonanza. I'd be up for sharing as a kick start to the social world of Buenos Aires. Indications from the net are that a monthly budget of USD 1500-2000 is a reasonable estimate - but I see some forums argue that such an amount is certifiable madness. What say you?

Thanks a ton. Salados.
Check out BnB for prices. USD$ budget of 1500-2000 fine if you want to live reasonably well but it will not cover extravagances such as trips, private tours, private tango lessons and shows. Depends on how rich your lifestyle is and what you are used to. Some foods are really not very cheap if you expect US standards, though the meat is generally better and not so shot with steroids. Transport, wine, etc relatively cheap and good quality. Most portenos (inc families) would consider $2000 a month to be very affluent, though they would not be paying the rents that extanejos pay. Hope this gets you started.

To deal directly with landlords go to www:soloduenos.co.ar

Hola everyone.

Thanks a ton. Salados.

$500 USD as a temporary rental? Wouldn't you have to have a guarantor to rent under local conditions ? Or will owners rent to foreigners for a year or more without any guarantor?

To deal directly with landlords go to www:soloduenos.co.ar

I had a bad experience there.
Before the new law, you used to sign a contract for 2 years and you used to pay 1 month comission for the real estate agent, 1 month deposit and 1 month in advance but the big issue was the garantia.

With the new law it is forbidden for the real estate agent to charge you and it allows to use the seguro de caucion that cost 1 month plus you have to pay 1 month in advance, so now is easier to rent.

So, the fraud is that they make a 1 year contract to by pass the prohibition of charging you. Then they ask 1 month of deposit, 1 month in advance and 1 month of comission for 1 year contract instead of 2 and you have to pay electricity and they usually add some expensive hidden cost like, in my case, the annual maintenance of the boiler of the building.

So, the appartment was already expensive (26.000 for a very nice studio) but I suppoused to pay 78.000 to get in plus electricity (about 3000) plus that boiler fraud.

Of course they whatsapp me about their comission in the last minute before the sign of the contract.

Finally I rented at airbnb and I only paid the 30.000 for the month in advance.

So, unless you sign a 2 years contract under reasonable conditions, it makes more sense Airbnb.

Last edited:
$500 USD as a temporary rental? Wouldn't you have to have a guarantor to rent under local conditions ? Or will owners rent to foreigners for a year or more without any guarantor?

Now you can buy a seguro de caucion (an insurance) with very low requirements. Finaer is the one I used for the appartment of my ex. It cost one month of rent.

Now you can buy a seguro de caucion (an insurance) with very low requirements. Finaer is the one I used for the appartment of my ex. It cost one month of rent.

You have mentioned this as a possibility several times, but I have yet to read any posts made by an expat with a foreign based income who has been able to buy a seguro de caucion.

If I understand correctly, your income en blanco and your ex's income en negro are generated in Argentina and you and your ex are both Argentine citizens.

Trying to imagine a "best case scenario" (for example), would a retired couple from the USA who each receive Social Security income of about $1500 USD per month be able to buy a seguro de caucion and would it make any difference if their Argentine residency was temporary (renewable annually) or permanent?

This was a reply to someone who only wants to rent a furnished apartment for three to six months. He's not looking to rent under "local conditions" which almost always means an unfurnished apartment.

Yes, "some owners" will rent to foreigners for a year or more without any guarantor, but (as those expats who have done so have previously posted) a large payment (six to twelve months rent) is usually made up front.

Back