Since No One Else Is Doing It, We Need To Open A.....

bagel store
diner
taco bell
PF Changs
Texas BBQ
Mortons Steakhouse

Why not just go back to the USA?

Why not open an empanada store that does fusion ingredients.

Not everyone wants the whole world to be like the USA

I'm going into BsAs this weekend to check out the TGI Fridays. It'd be great if any of you baexpat folks can stop by and say hello.

I would avoid the one in Puerto Madero. Food is horrible (not even close to any Friday's I've been to in the USA), service is slow and bad. Tho I can't imagine it would be any better at any other of their BA locations. :/

As far as donuts this place was really good in my opinion!!

http://www.magicdonut.com.ar/

Why not just go back to the USA?

Why not open an empanada store that does fusion ingredients.

Not everyone wants the whole world to be like the USA

I'm not "going back" because I have good reasons to be here now. And I dont think we wrote anything in this thread about making Argentina like the USA (although in some ways that might be a good idea any ie: no black market in currency, we're able to buy imports, etc).

The folks who read this forum often debate about foods here, back home, other places. My post was an attempt at subtle humor: that we could stop debating and start cooking. I even put another post specifically saying that I wasn't trying to propose a business.

Most of the people who commented understood this and one even volunteered to cook bouillabaisse (hardly an extension of America but possibly a very nice addition to BsAs menus).

A couple of folks didnt understand why I missed Texas BBQ when I'm in the land of parrillas. I dont think it can be explained other than to say that, to my taste, there's a biggggg difference.

You alone seem to be very offended by our discussion of what we might like to eat and where we would like to eat it. Somehow you saw our comments as part of a vast conspiracy to Americanize the globe. I cant imagine how angry you must be to make that connection.

If I could make a suggestion, I'd enjoy your comments more if you made them under separate
thread-headings and not try to insert them into discussions of unrelated topics. You could use headings like: "Why I hate America". And "You'll eat what I tell you to eat" and of course "Yankee go home".

On a more positive note, I like your empanada idea. It would add some new tastes to empanadas and probably increase sales. You should discuss it with someone who manufactures empanadas.

I do fin
I'm not "going back" because I have good reasons to be here now. And I dont think we wrote anything in this thread about making Argentina like the USA (although in some ways that might be a good idea any ie: no black market in currency, we're able to buy imports, etc).

The folks who read this forum often debate about foods here, back home, other places. My post was an attempt at subtle humor: that we could stop debating and start cooking. I even put another post specifically saying that I wasn't trying to propose a business.

Most of the people who commented understood this and one even volunteered to cook bouillabaisse (hardly an extension of America but possibly a very nice addition to BsAs menus).

A couple of folks didnt understand why I missed Texas BBQ when I'm in the land of parrillas. I dont think it can be explained other than to say that, to my taste, there's a biggggg difference.

You alone seem to be very offended by our discussion of what we might like to eat and where we would like to eat it. Somehow you saw our comments as part of a vast conspiracy to Americanize the globe. I cant imagine how angry you must be to make that connection.

If I could make a suggestion, I'd enjoy your comments more if you made them under separate
thread-headings and not try to insert them into discussions of unrelated topics. You could use headings like: "Why I hate America". And "You'll eat what I tell you to eat" and of course "Yankee go home".

On a more positive note, I like your empanada idea. It would add some new tastes to empanadas and probably increase sales. You should discuss it with someone who manufactures empanadas.

I do find it odd how many people from the USA come here and ask for things they had in the States, I think that its valid to point this out.
Why not try and improve the local food rather than replicate what you had back home.

Its also a valid point to say it would be sad if every country opened a taco bell.

How about a sweet empanada like Pecan Pie?

I find this kind of globalisation sad and unnecessary:
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/photography/poy2003/graphics/60-16-andec-01.jpg

There are some foods that you miss when you're abroad - that can't be helped. When I'm in London I'd probably like to have a restaurant/bar or two from Argentina. The same goes the other way.

I was back home in Texas recently and went to an Argentine family owned empanada house:
http://www.theorigin...anadahouse.com/

They have some authentic flavors but also lots of bbq and tex-mex empanadas that were honestly the best thing I ate on my trip home!! BBQ Brisket empanada, chicken chipotle with monterrey jack cheese! I feel like there are a lot of Texans on this board so if anyone heads back to Houston for visits I recommend this place! And I am considering trying to make some of these bbq or dessert empanadas down here, can't be too hard right?

The longer I live outside of the USA the more I realize there are things that are simply not important to me that are some of the things that people "highlight" about how wonderful it is in the USA. Yes, there are things I DO miss, like the availability of different varieties of fish and the good quality appliances, but I make do anyway, my life is no worse and it's actually better in some ways. I live with 20% of the income I used to, I own a property outright (always had a mortgage in New York City) and I work less hours than I ever did in my adult life. I am not criticizing anybody, but to me "bottomless" pancakes, unlimited coffee, and free refills of soda are really not appealing in ANY way. I mean no human should be consuming junk food like that, it's bad for that person and even worse for the planet. Excess of anything causes imbalances to every creature and every system on the earth. People should eat well, and sufficient portions to feel satisfied and provide good nutrition to their body - pancakes, soda and coffee do not do anything positive for anybody's health. While it's okay to eat and drink a portion YES one portion of those things, they should not be stuffed down until the body shuts down.

There are some foods that you miss when you're abroad - that can't be helped. When I'm in London I'd probably like to have a restaurant/bar or two from Argentina. The same goes the other way.

True I suppose. But I'd take an Argentine restaurant over a American fast food chain that ads nothing to the culture of a country.

I would walk 100 miles for a breakfast like this:
_64136308_fry_up_thinkstock.jpg

Back