Six Months After: Ba Vs. Madrid

Six months ago today, I took my final remis ride to Ezeiza and, after 3 years, left BA for good. I had never moved down there to live like an expat, but to be with my Argentine partner. I genuinely enjoyed living there for the first couple of years -- while I'd always recognized the basic inconveniences, as long as I was earning enough to get by, they were generally outweighed by the things I liked. However, between 2009 and 2012, daily life became progressively more difficult, to the point that I could no longer justify the struggle (living with mediocre coffee and customer service is one thing, but when you have a master's degree and can't afford to buy a can of tuna, it's time to throw in the towel). Since then, I've been living in Madrid, and I must admit that, even in the midst of an economic crisis, life here is quite comfortable. However, neither the city nor the people have the charisma of their Argentinian counterparts. All things being equal, I'd choose BA over Madrid, but unfortunately... they're not. So, since Spain is sometimes mentioned in posts as a possible "alternative destination," I thought I'd make a list of some of the pros and cons of living in Madrid vs. Buenos Aires.

Pros of Madrid

Salary vs cost of living. In Buenos Aires, I made 50-60 pesos per hour as an English teacher, and despite an extremely frugal lifestyle, was barely able to get by. In Madrid, I charge 20-30 euros per hour, earning around 1,200 per month. My expenses are as follows:
-Rent (for a furnished room in a 2-BR apt.) = 275, plus 20-30 for gastos
-Monthly smartphone plan = 14 (600MB of data, 200 free texts, 60 minutes of free national calls and 20 free minutes to other cell phones.)
-Public transportation = 52 for an unlimited monthly pass or 12 for a 10-trip ticket
-Health insurance = 50 per month for the most comprehensive private plan (since I don't pay into the social security system, I can't use the public system.)
-Food and drink = maybe 30-40 per month for groceries, and 10-20 for social drinks (a beer, glass of wine, or coffee all cost around 2 euros, anywhere you go.)
This leaves me enough to travel at least once per month, and still have some money left over.

Security. This was kind of the dealbreaker between me and BA. Constantly being on-guard left me anxious and exhausted, and I feel 100 pounds lighter not having to worry about it anymore. Do I carefully watch my belongings in the Metro, a restaurant, a crowded street, etc? Of course. But I can walk near the curb without worrying about motochorros, feel safe at an ATM or walking home in the dark, and go away for the weekend without worrying about someone trying to break into my apt. It's awesome.

Ease of travel. Air and bus travel is extremely affordable, and Madrid's location makes it easy to get around. Since August, I've visited Sevilla, Granada, Salamanca, San Sebastian, Lisboa, Rome, and next month I'll visit Pamplona, Venice, Florence, and Milan.

General first-world efficiency. Consumer products are easy to find and reasonably priced. Huelgas, while annoying, are fairly organized and inconsequential (they must be announced in advance, continue to offer minimum services, etc -- no walking off the job or blocking off entire avenues whenever the hell you want.) If you buy something, you can exchange or return it without hassle. Buses and trains adhere to European safety and environmental standards.

Food. To be honest, I dislike dining out in Madrid. There's not much variety and the local cuisine is heavy and bland. When it comes to food, madrilenos are just as unadventurous as Argentines, and seem content to eat tortilla, croquetas, and bread with ham every day. However, thanks to the high quality and low cost of almost all supermarket items, you can eat very well by cooking at home. Olive oil, cheese, wild-caught seafood, real yogurt, nuts, coffee, dark chocolate... my diet is SO much more balanced here, thanks to all of those basic food items that I couldn't afford in BA.

What I Miss About Buenos Aires

The people. Generally speaking, I have found Argentines to be friendlier, wittier, more intellectually curious, and more open-minded than Spaniards. They are less entitled, better at managing money, and better at coping with crisis. And, despite the reputation that Argentines have for being rude, I saw MANY more displays of kindness and basic manners in BA than I have in Spain. I've made some lovely friends here, but I personally do prefer the company of Argentines.

The energy. Madrid is an extremely livable city. It's well-preserved, clean, easy to get around in, and although not super-sophisticated, offers all of the amenities of a national capital. HOWEVER... it's just kind of boring. It doesn't have the vibrancy or charm that BA has, and is often depressingly quiet (since the majority of the city closes at lunchtime, on weekends, and by 9pm.)

Verdulerias. One of my favorite things about Buenos Aires. It was awesome knowing that, regardless of what street you were on, you would be able to find fresh, affordable produce within a 2-block radius. In many parts of Madrid, where verdulerias are non-existent, your only choices are to buy produce at the supermarket (cheapest prices, generally decent-to-bad quality) or one of the "mercados tradicionales," which offer higher quality at much higher prices. And despite being "the farm of Europe," it is becoming damn difficult to find Spanish-grown produce in Spain.

Cafes. Yes, the coffee in BA sucks. The milk in BA sucks. The typical 22-peso cappuccino in BA sucks. BUT the cafes are generally wonderful. The decor, the history, the touch of ceremony (the agua con gas, the cookie) and the fact that you can sit there for hours without feeling pressured to leave. Meanwhile, I have yet to find a truly charming, authentic cafe in Madrid. The Spanish just aren't into coffee, so most "cafes" are actually bars/tabernas with an espresso machine.

Ice cream. The ice cream in Madrid is terrible and nobody seems to care.

Drinking in moderation. I have been amazed by how much alcohol the Spanish consume on a daily basis. They don't binge-drink like Brits or Americans, but it's all day, every day -- beer before lunch, wine with lunch, beer after work, wine with dinner, gin and tonics after dinner. In BA, Sunday lunch might include 1-2 glasses of wine... in Madrid on Sunday, the first beer and tapa happen around 2pm, and they continue pretty steadily until the final gin and tonic around 8 or 9. I miss being allowed to stop after one glass of wine.

The one thing that surprises me is the part about the cafes. It was mostly the Spanish that opened them up in BsAs in the first place, and they quite remind me of a lot of cafes ive always found around Spain (including Madrid). The one thing my bf (from Madrid) misses in Holland, is the cafes...

A can of tuna is still pricy here. I paid 25 pesos for a can of La Campagnola tuna in olive oil just the other day at the local Coto.

I'm not sure what this 'buzz' or excitement is here everyone is talking about.
Perhaps people are getting rudeness, pollution, and general poverty mixed up for being edgy.

May these are the same people complain about a failing area of London being gentrified then go and eat in the boutique cafes just opened up there.

BA is a pretty cool place but what is there to do on a Friday evening after work at 7pm? Hang with the suits in Reconquista?
Sometimes this place seems a little bit soulless. Lots of people yes but not that much to do.

I think it's at least remarkable and noteworthy that nowadays, the tables have turned and many Spaniards are coming here, a very significant number of them. In either case, at least a chunk of their motives are related to economic opportunity just to survive in this totally unrecognizable time.

Speaking only for myself, I'm not a very clever business woman. I have actively chosen with each day I remain here (and choose to keep getting back on the airplane in my hometown of Cincinnati for every precious trip back home), to do the fiscally irresponsible thing and stay here and live like a worker ant as times get tougher and people get hungrier and more competitive. I repeat, I can only speak for myself, because I also have a decent job en blanco here, a gainfully employed Argentine spouse, and if worse came to absolute worst, a way of somehow getting US dollars or just getting back to the US somehow because my entire family is there like a safety net.

Many Spaniards, a very significant number of them? Methinks one has been listening too much to the media... they love to tout this, a little revenge that Spaniards are now coming here. However, I don't think the numbers are all that significant. Certainly nothing compared to the number of Argentines that went there after the crisis. How often in the street have you heard a Spanish accent? Ummmm practically never. How often do I hear Colombian accents? All the time. This, to me, is one of the signs of "significant" numbers -- when there is actual visibility on the street rather than just being noted in the newspapers....

I wouldn't say this is a totally unrecognizable time -- this is just another ride round the merry-go-round for Argentines -- they know exactly what's in store. As for the Spaniards, well they too have had their share of terrible economic times.

I have to say I enjoy your posts though because it is nice to see someone that is not so jaded as myself about life here. I'm rolling into my 8th year, I like it here, but I also never had intention of leaving -- until recently. That changed 18 mos ago when we had our baby. Now I just don't see how it will work for us to stay. My mum is 76, she's been here 3x and will not make the trip again. Flying home with baby is more and more difficult, and this year when we have to start paying full price for a seat, we're going to be looking at about 5k USD for a family trip home. If we ever have another kid and we want to do a family trip home, that's going to be 6-8k in tickets alone. With the peso slipping constantly against the dollar, trips home to family become more and more of a fantasy.

I also was here because I chose to be here, loved to say that too. And I had disposable income at one point to be able to fly home when I wanted (that's pretty much gone now). Now I have a child, what am I going to do? Abandon him? Take him and abandon husband? Of course not. So yes I guess technically I'm here out of choice, but it's not like the other choice, the choice to leave is as easy as stepping on a plane.

You say you are here out of choice, but a lot of this perspective is going to change when your child arrives. When you start to look at daycares at schools and see the conditions of things here versus at home. You can bring in all your imported toys and onesies, but you can't rebuild a daycare to make it look like one at home. Public education really isn't much of a choice here, so starting as early as your child's 2nd year you have to budget in the cost of that as well (we are currently spending 2000 pesos a month for daycare to give an idea).

If you own an apartment already, then you are in a much better position than us. But for us, it's become extremely complicated. we don't own, we're in 2 ambientes with an 18mos old, we need to move in March and our rent will easily double adding on another room, plus the daycare, plus matricula for a new daycare if we move out of the neighbourhood, plus commissions, depositos, fletes etc -- the month we move we will easily have over 18,000 pesos in costs.

A lot of the choices that one makes for oneself become ridiculous in the face of raising a child. Were it up to me, I'd probably be on a plane tomorrow just so that I could get my family a better life. Unfortunately once one has a partner and a child these are not decisions to be made alone. So I'm stuck waiting for my husband to finally agree that it is no longer financially feasible for us to stay here in the long term.

If you're hanging out in Microcentro, that may be where you are going wrong. It's a horrible part of town.

Is there anywhere that isn't empty 7pm on a friday here apart from micro central? I'd love to check out some new places.

Many Spaniards, a very significant number of them? Methinks one has been listening too much to the media... they love to tout this, a little revenge that Spaniards are now coming here. However, I don't think the numbers are all that significant. Certainly nothing compared to the number of Argentines that went there after the crisis. How often in the street have you heard a Spanish accent? Ummmm practically never. How often do I hear Colombian accents? All the time. This, to me, is one of the signs of "significant" numbers -- when there is actual visibility on the street rather than just being noted in the newspapers....

I wouldn't say this is a totally unrecognizable time -- this is just another ride round the merry-go-round for Argentines -- they know exactly what's in store. As for the Spaniards, well they too have had their share of terrible economic times.

I have to say I enjoy your posts though because it is nice to see someone that is not so jaded as myself about life here. I'm rolling into my 8th year, I like it here, but I also never had intention of leaving -- until recently. That changed 18 mos ago when we had our baby. Now I just don't see how it will work for us to stay. My mum is 76, she's been here 3x and will not make the trip again. Flying home with baby is more and more difficult, and this year when we have to start paying full price for a seat, we're going to be looking at about 5k USD for a family trip home. If we ever have another kid and we want to do a family trip home, that's going to be 6-8k in tickets alone. With the peso slipping constantly against the dollar, trips home to family become more and more of a fantasy.

I also was here because I chose to be here, loved to say that too. And I had disposable income at one point to be able to fly home when I wanted (that's pretty much gone now). Now I have a child, what am I going to do? Abandon him? Take him and abandon husband? Of course not. So yes I guess technically I'm here out of choice, but it's not like the other choice, the choice to leave is as easy as stepping on a plane.

You say you are here out of choice, but a lot of this perspective is going to change when your child arrives. When you start to look at daycares at schools and see the conditions of things here versus at home. You can bring in all your imported toys and onesies, but you can't rebuild a daycare to make it look like one at home. Public education really isn't much of a choice here, so starting as early as your child's 2nd year you have to budget in the cost of that as well (we are currently spending 2000 pesos a month for daycare to give an idea).

If you own an apartment already, then you are in a much better position than us. But for us, it's become extremely complicated. we don't own, we're in 2 ambientes with an 18mos old, we need to move in March and our rent will easily double adding on another room, plus the daycare, plus matricula for a new daycare if we move out of the neighbourhood, plus commissions, depositos, fletes etc -- the month we move we will easily have over 18,000 pesos in costs.

A lot of the choices that one makes for oneself become ridiculous in the face of raising a child. Were it up to me, I'd probably be on a plane tomorrow just so that I could get my family a better life. Unfortunately once one has a partner and a child these are not decisions to be made alone. So I'm stuck waiting for my husband to finally agree that it is no longer financially feasible for us to stay here in the long term.

My empathies...my aged parents, heart conditions made their last trip to Bsas at aged 78 and that for me was also one of the driving factors to leave as we loved having them with us as much as they loved visiting and the idea of us having to make the 6k usd trip each and every year was just too painful. Sadly all things change and it's important to have no regrets..I'm v glad we're now so close to my parents (2 hrs flight) and extended family...and equally glad I'm not quite around the corner from them or my in-laws!

The people
I would say on the whole this is one reason I will be leaving BA.
The people I have met just seem to laugh at foreigners. Most times I've asked a porteño out for drinks or to a party they have said yes then didn't turn up.
The casual rasism here is disgraceful not to mention the sexism too.

I brought a home made curry into work one day and got remarks like 'que asco', while the locals were slopping down their over cooked milanesa and pasta.

Obviously not everyone is like this here but enough to warrant leaving.

You have met the wrong people. where do you hang out? I have never in my life met someone like this.

You have met the wrong people. where do you hang out? I have never in my life met someone like this.

Twice in the space of a month someone has asked me for directions on the street and in despite of knowing where it was and reaplying in Spanish they have walked off half way through me talking, once they just laughed at me.

My flat mates have had similar experiences with some of their workmates allergic experience to foreign food and culture.

Back