I think the gotcha is going to be that the spread between termination rates to fixed-line and mobile destinations is massive in most places in the world, including Argentina. So, unless the majority of your calling is to landlines, it's not particularly "unlimited" or such a great value for the price.

AlexanderB said:
I think the gotcha is going to be that the spread between termination rates to fixed-line and mobile destinations is massive in most places in the world, including Argentina. So, unless the majority of your calling is to landlines, it's not particularly "unlimited" or such a great value for the price.

See, I am getting movistar postpago for my cellphone needs. THat's why I was thinking about this package. Instead of getting a line that gives me 600 minutes to call landlines (I think its Telefonica) and charges me AR$74 for it, wouldn't this be better?

But then again, this would only be better if it actually worked.

That's what I want to know, does this work?

From my experiences using Skype over wi-fi when I was in BsAs (mostly on Fibertel), it works just fine. However, the usual caveats about VoIP, regarding the quality of your Internet connection, QoS if you are sharing it with other people that like to use lots of bandwidth intermittently, etc. apply.

I'm not sure how you would like to handle incoming and outgoing calls. But for me, I have a "Skype In" phone number in the USA and the UK and my friends can call me for free (each number is about $35 per year).

For outgoing calls, I just add credit to my Skype account and make calls via my laptop (to the US and UK) or use my DualPhone Skype handset which is directly connected to my internet router at home (and works just like a normal cordless-free phone).

I've spent practically nothing on calls as I ask my friends to call me on my "Skype In" numbers (which is free local access for them). And most of my outgoing calls are to US and UK companies that have free (0)800 numbers.

Also, if you have a smartphone, the Skype app on the iPhone and on Android works quite well.

If you are using some other, SIP-based VoIP service, the Bria softphone from Counterpath is a great app. It's primarily what I used when I was in BA.

Back