Smoked Fish...an Easy Tip For Those Who Like It.

UK Man

Registered
Probably not to everyones taste but one thing which I have always missed during my ten years here has been smoked fish. I regularly ate smoked haddock back in the UK so I recently decided to give it a go using merluza as it's widely available and the nearest fish to haddock.
Not having a purpose built smoker I thought I'd try the most simplest method which is to use a sturdy pot (not one of your best) with lid and a steamer thingy insert....no idea what it's called but it's round and it allows your food to stand clear of the water or the smoking sawdust. You then put it on the cooker or in my case a camping stove in the outhouse just in case I made a pigs ear of it and set the house on fire!!

First I got a nice thick piece of merluza, doused it in salt and let it rest for 20 minutes.....this seemingly draws the moisture out making it easier for the fillet to absorb the smoke.Nest step is to wash the salt off and pat the fillet dry with paper towel.During this stage you put some sawdust or wood chips in the bottom of the pot and put it to heat on the gas ring. Once the wood has started smoking place the fish on the steamer rack and close the pot lid tightly. Don't worry about the strong burning smell from the pot....I did but your fish won't taste anywhere near as strong as that. You can turn down the heat to minimum at this stage there should be enough heat to cook the fish through in about 15 minutes. Once the fish has been cooked either serve it straight away or do as I do and give it a final poaching in hot milk and a knob of butter.

Even though I say it myself I was astounded how well it turned out....

I had merluza, when I live in Spain, at the turn of the century. I never had anything before or since, that smelled or tasted as vile as meluza. Now, I hold me nose, when I see the word.
Do people still use salt? good Luck.

I had merluza, when I live in Spain, at the turn of the century. I never had anything before or since, that smelled or tasted as vile as meluza. Now, I hold me nose, when I see the word.
Do people still use salt? good Luck.

Sounds as if your cook was rotten rather than the fish. :D
Merluza is known as Hake in the UK. It has become increasingly popular since cod stocks declined. I also coat it in batter and deep fry it to make British style fish n' chips from the chippy...tastes wonderful with a shake or two of salt and vinegar. I've even been known to wrap it in newspaper and go out for a walk to eat it just to complete the authentic experience.
Salt? What's wrong with salt? :confused:

Do people still use salt? good luck.

Sure it was merluza? From your description, bacalao might be a candidate. Usually sold salted (very) and dried. Usually stinks.

Back