So I got jipped today--Bienvenidos a Argentina, I guess

nicoenarg

Registered
Alrighty, I have been here for about 2 months now but my Spanish (or Castellano) is so bad that I don't even understand what I am trying to say when I speak in it.

Anyway, I decided today that no matter my Castellano/Spanish, I gotta buy a sim card today!

So I go to this quiet little movistar store on a big street I say 'Hola' to the dude in there and ask him if he's got what I want. After explaining to him that I wanted a sim card (surprisingly he understood what I meant), the dude asked me for my passport (33 days and I'm still waiting for my DNI), I gave it to him, he took a photocopy, gave my passport back to me. All good! Then he charged me $40 pesos for the sim. I had a weird feeling about it but it still sounded way cheaper than what I would pay for a sim card in Dubai (try $120 pesos with $30 credit, no free nothing!) so I went ahead and paid for it. But I had a feeling that I paid a little too much.

Seeing that I don't know Spanish I can't confirm my feeling. So I am going to ask here, did I get jipped, if so, by how much and where can I find the information on how much it costs?

Appreciate your help!

A sim (chip) shouldn't cost you more than 15 pesos. You can buy them for about $5-10 pesos on the sidewalk in Once, near Plaza Miserere.

bradlyhale said:
A sim (chip) shouldn't cost you more than 15 pesos. You can buy them for about $5-10 pesos on the sidewalk in Once, near Plaza Miserere.

Now I wish I had asked here before I went out to buy one. Anyway, I am glad the dude didn't rob me for more. Man, can't wait for my 3 years to be over to move to civilization where conmen at least con you in style!

The thing though is, seeing that everything else is going up like crazy, I thought they had probably increased the prices of sim cards (chips) too. But then again, I never knew the actual price in the first place. And I couldn't find the information on movistar's website either.

Which brings me to this: Does anyone know where I can find the official price of a Movistar prepago chip?

I know with claro my sim card cost 10 pesos but i could also buy a sim card for 20 pesos with 10 pesos in credits. Did the sim come with any credits?

Dmiller said:
I know with claro my sim card cost 10 pesos but i could also buy a sim card for 20 pesos with 10 pesos in credits. Did the sim come with any credits?

It came with $20 pesos credit and was supposed to come with 200 free SMS's but never got that deal. Maybe I need to call a number or something.

Dmiller said:
Yeah i am not sure about the SMS's but you didnt get ripped off and if you did it was only for about 5-10 pesos.

Well if that's the case then its not really a big deal. Still, isn't there a place where I can get the price of these things before I go out buying them? Like something written somewhere?

Even if the 40 pesos came without any credit that is not what can be considered a scam. He told you the price, you can take it or leave it. It is one's responsibility to be informed about the usual prices for things you want to buy.

Amargo said:
Even if the 40 pesos came without any credit that is not what can be considered a scam. He told you the price, you can take it or leave it. It is one's responsibility to be informed about the usual prices for things you want to buy.

Where it is my fault that I didn't investigate before I went to the store, what you describe is only true if its a personal business deal where I am told a price and we can then negotiate.

The place I went to was a Movistar store (official), the guy working there was a sales representative for Movistar with no price negotiatiing powers whatsoever. His responsibility (in a civilized place) is just to tell me the price set by Movistar and not what he thinks it should be at the time of sale. And also to inform me honestly about the price in case I don't know it.

Bottom line, if he misused his position to wrongfully gain money from me for his own personal use, that is a scam, period.

I am not asking people to justify his actions (there isn't a justification) in case he did rip me off, all I am asking is whether I was ripped off or not.

Back