So, I'm being sued by the cleaning lady..

Please, what happened? Did you have to pay off that barracuda?

I employ a cleaner part time, and I've been told to have her sign a receipt every month, stating the hours worked and the amount received. Apparently this is the best way to go, but even doing this I don't feel totally safe, Argentine labor laws being what they are.

Try sending him a PM, otherwise he might not see that this thread has been updated

Thanks for the idea, Orwellian - I just did it. If I get a reply I'll post it here - the Crooked Maid Saga needs and ending.

Modulus, Keep in mind that 99% of judgements are never collected upon. Therefore, even if a court in Argentina awards this gold-diggin' dishwasher 50k you don't necessarily have to give it to her. You need to seek legal council on not only fighting this psycho spungeweilder but also if it is worth it to even pay to deal with her. I am no lawyer but I'll bet you dollars-to-doughnuts that if your money is in a US bank account and especially if you just move out of Argentina there is no way they can collect from you no matter what the commie courts over here may award. I have a very good lawyer here who may be able to help you or if he is not the appropriate person he would surely refer you to someone who could help you. If you are interested PM me. People sue to make you stressed and settle, don't fall for it!!!

Wow this is very interesting. I'm very sorry that this happened to you, would be great to know how it turned out.

I rent with an Argentine and she has a cleaner and well let me put it this way... if I had no legs and arms, she was the last cleaner in the world and I needed to employ a cleaner to get some new legs and arms I wouldn't hire her. But my flatmate likes her so maybe it is just me.

Back