So, Price Controls. When Will We Begin To See Shortages?

When will shortages start to appear in supermarkets?

• 2 weeks

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • 1 month

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • 2 months

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Never. Cristina will solve the inflation problem with price controls.

Votes: 13 27.1%

• Total voters
Having a cold I went to buy some more tissues, the cost is the same but my normal pack of 75 tissues is now only 50 and I'm not surprised by this at all.

Sounds like the small $6 bags of Doritos. They contain only 11 doritos! You have to peer to the bottom to see them.

"Near Moreno" or "Dear Moreno"?

Snort, I'm sure you can imagine the phrase "Dear Moreno" doesn't roll of my tongue ;)

Went today again to Makro and found (or didn't find in this case)
- No vanish
- Only about 10 bottles of lavandina left
- Two or 3 bottles of floor cleaner, etc left on the shelves
In general, there were very, very few cleaning products available.

No boxes of cookies. Only a few boxes of crackers for sale.

No diet coke (not that I buy it, too expensive).

Only small bottles of aceite - just corn - available. No mixes of any kind.

So my questions to Bs As living Expats, has the Price control taming the ever growing inflation.? Do you see the Super markets using the "Just in time" delivery method.? Are there or not there, any less or more food products available to the consumers, Legumes, Seafoods, Meats, Poultries,Baked goods etc.etc. Are you guys/girls soon to prepare for food shopping trips to neighboring countries such to Uruguay,Paraguay or Chile.? Here in the USoA, we are watching the Argentine progress on the "price controls" very trepid but praying for you all that this menacing action will go away soon.

There are only "chinos" in my 'hood so no price controls at all. Prices are super high. Not noticed any improvement. Stock seems to be more erratic though, oil, floor cleaner, diapers and potato chips are low or absent.

only thing i've seen out of stock so far in the carrefour/discos is Pringles

only thing i've seen out of stock so far in the carrefour/discos is Pringles

Those haven't been stocked very well for months, presumably because they're imported (from Mexico).

So now we have a six month petrol/fuel price freeze.
Not having seen any shortages (yet) in the shops, how do we think this latest measure will pan out?
Is it all mid term electoral elastoplast to woo the voters or simply shorttermitis (sic)?

PS
I've put this here because it's all part of the same wacky tale really.

The only recent shortage I've seen was at Walmart, on Walmart-brand bread (Good Brand? Great Brand? Good for you brand? something like that...)

Anyway they have their own brand of whole wheat, multigrain, flaxseed breads etc. They are priced at 11.90 a loaf, compared to about 20 pesos for Fargos "Tipo Casero" multigrain loaf, and about 25-27 pesos for the Orowheat bread (that we used to buy when it was expensive at 13(!) pesos). I have no problem buying it during early weekdays, in fact now I just buy 4 loaves at a time and put in the freezer. On the weekend it looks like everyone raids the shelves, and the Orowheat/Fargo only gets touched when the walmart brand is no longer an option. It's pretty good bread I have to say, although the flaxseed loaf tends to fall apart.

Just now I was at the chino because I forgot to pick up milk the other day at Walmart. Last time I bought it at walmart it was 7.50 a litre -- perhaps it's gone up by now, but in the chino the litre of skimmed milk in a carton was 8.50, and that new DHA one was 9.50!

Back