So, Price Controls. When Will We Begin To See Shortages?

When will shortages start to appear in supermarkets?

• 2 weeks

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • 1 month

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • 2 months

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Never. Cristina will solve the inflation problem with price controls.

Votes: 13 27.1%

• Total voters
Was at Walmart in Bahia Blanca this morning. Typical holiday Monday morning...not very busy...short lines at checkout...carts not overflowing...shelves generally full of everything. Nonetheless, two items i usually buy were sold out (or had not been restocked): Oral B mouthwash sin alcohol and Frutigran "Semillas" cookies. I bought the last five jars of Dami Mani smooth peanut butter. There was no crocante or extra-coante on the shelf.

It's now about a month since the price freeze was introduced and I haven't noticed any 'alarming' shortages just yet.
In the poll, most of us predicted at 37% that it would only take 2 weeks for shortages to be seen and felt. Was that a knee jerk reaction?
This article in CLARIN is interesting reading, but it does leave me with a couple of questions:
Are the price freeze and media boycotts written into law? Doubtful..
And what possible reprisals are the big chains and potential advertisers worried about?
I get the impression that Moreno calls these people into his office, bangs his fist on the table and tells them to toe the line, or else!
Excuse my naivete, but sometimes getting at the truth in this country can be a long hard slog.

Excuse my naivete, but sometimes getting at the truth in this country can be a long hard slog.

Exactly. Clarin never cites any sources for this information, and many of the supermarkets have flat out said that they were never threatened at all.

Meanwhile, it appears that Fravega and Jumbo/Disco are promocionando a full at Clarin.com:

deals.png

Sigh.

There will be shortages when twats buy "the last five jars of peanut butter"!! like I must get my shot or I will get withdrawal symptoms!!Selfish springs to mind.

It's now about a month since the price freeze was introduced and I haven't noticed any 'alarming' shortages just yet.
The question was "When will shortages start to appear in supermarkets?" - not "When will alarming shortages ...".

Shortages have been noticable for more than 2 weeks out here.

In the Carrefour where I sometimes shop (have always prefered to do my shopping in the small tiendas) there was e.g. only 1 brand of sunflower oil with a limit of 2 bottles per customer, sugar was the inferior brands we saw in april 2010, ... but I didn't notice any alarming shortages.

We've had shortages by us and limits on quantity that you can purchase.

Back