So why did you move to Buenos Aires?

em618

Registered
Hi everyone,
I'm doing research on expats (from the USA in particular) living in Buenos Aires for my thesis, and would love to hear your personal story, or even just hear your thoughts on the issue!

So....
- why (and when) did you move here?
- do you like living here? Why or why not?
- what are your future plans?
- what does "expat" mean anyway?

Thanks!!

Emily
originally from Vermont
in BA since 2008

2005, cheap and fun place, good climate
Yes, got Everything northern europe doesnt have
No plans beyond 2 years but most likely 50/50 and quite a lot of travelling
Who cares?

Hello Emily,

expat literally means living outside one's own "fatherland". ex (out) patriate (patria/ae) fatherland.

It used to be a terribly dishonorable form of punishment in Rome, and to this day the word Expatriado sounds shady shady in this and other Latin countries.

In its modern form it derives from people being sent overseas by their companies (even colonial times).

see also, aramco kids

In its post modern form I guess it means giving a rat's ass about one's own fatherland, being an internationalist, and choosing where to live and for how long, choosing your allegiance consciously instead of by accident of birth. It is a triumph of liberty akin to Free International Trade.

I came to BA for a visit in 2006 because I heard it was the Paris of Latin America and as much as I love Paris I could not afford to live there. I stayed in BA for four years but moved to my present location in Argentina almost two years ago. I am very happy where I am now and I am confident that "country life" in Argentina is far less expensive or complicated than "country life" would be in France.

The only reason I want to ever be in BA again is to get on a plane on my way to Paris, even if just for a visit.

Steve if you were living in BA for 4 years long is because you liked it. Sure your love for paris its bigger, and if it is and you are american (wich means lots of money in your wallet)... then go visit paris and finish your sadness.

I moved here from the USA to invest and do business in 2005.

I'd prefer to be living back in the USA with all the comforts of home and to escape the crippling bureaucracy that is Argentina, but I have businesses to attend to here so that's not really a possibility.

As for future plans, I'd like to get organized so I can live at least 3-6 months of the year somewhere else. I'm a little tired of it here.

I can't complain about business, though. There are many opportunities here in Argentina if you are willing to live with the uncertainty.

thanks to all of you for sharing! keep 'em coming....

I came here to make a movie as it was 40% cheaper than Canada in 2006-2007. We shot it in BA and in Salta. I then spent 4 years back and forth between USA, Canada and here. In 2010 I became a resident of Argentina and had no plans to return to live in Canada for the foreseeable future.
now in 2012, prices to shoot in Argentina have now surpassed Canada. Labour and things like locations are still a bit cheaper and more negotiable, but equipment rentals houses are limited to a handful and their prices went through the roof. Also all the extra costs to fly english speaking actors down and (put them up) make shooting here a much tougher option.
there are many other opportunities here, but i fear shooting feature films in Argentina is no longer one of them. So now, we write here, enjoy the lifestyle (as crazy as it is) but raise funds and look to shoot back in Canada...

I came here in January 2009 after teaching English for awhile in South Korea. I had already spent a semester studying abroad here in 2005 through my university, and as cliché as it sounds, after I was here the first time around, something grabbed me and never let go. After finishing my teaching contract in Seoul, I wanted to try my luck and see if I could make it work long-term as an ESL/EFL teacher.

I have my days where I'd love to go back to Cincinnati, Ohio (I miss my family and being able to receive care packages, comfort foods, far less inflation and chaos, and so on), but I also know that I do NOT miss unemployment that I suffered in the States (and as a result, being uninsured), and I like the fact that my Spanish is getting stronger and better all the time (I love languages). Furthermore, living in the Midwestern US is dull. As they say, ships in the harbor are safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

In my case, it looks like I'm here for good in Argentina, since I am married to the love of my life, an Argentine, who does not have any desire to leave Buenos Aires since he is very close to his large family that resides here. I am currently teaching in a wonderful bilingual school, so I know that I have no reason to complain about my current situation. For better or for worse, this is where I am and will be.

An expat? In my own words, a person who seeks long-term residence outside his/her native country for a variety of reasons, and makes the effort to acclimate to the host country and learn the language.

I put my hand up when a transfer opportunity opened up at work to come here (moved from Australia) as at the time that was the best way for my Argentina gf and I to be together (we met and travelled together through Sth America about 2 years ago). I started here 7 months ago full time (all up have spent about 9 months in BsAs and just under a year in Arg in total). I always wanted to learn Spanish as well so I guess in a way am killing 3 birds with the 1 stone.

I really like living here for now and we are enjoying it a lot. With the benefit of hindsight I wouldnt change a thing. I love the weather, beautiful girls, great nightlife, I am a fan of steak and Malbec, the passionate people, the lack of rules (sometimes, not always), the proximity / availability of everything and for travel opportunities what this country has to offer both north and south (also a keen snowboarder). And of course learning Spanish (or the porteño / Tucuman mix of the language!).

Having said that, we are unlikely to be here for the long haul. Both of us like it here but we love Australia and that is where we plan to bring up a family and be long term. The negatives for us are the insecurity, overcrowded feel of Capital, dirtiness and financial side of thing and also the lack of trust and ability to trust here.

I consider an expat as someone that is living outside of their own country (what they would consider home) for an extended period of time (hrmm I dunno say 6 months atleast), albeit not for vacational purposes.

Back