So, You Think Buenos Aires Is Dangerous?

Hey.....the gov't says.....there is no "inseguridad" we're just imagining things....... ;) They also say the sky is "blue" imagine that!?

ericoldtime-1748143-albums-private-stuff-pic116680-viajes-argentinas-que-vengan-ya.jpg

This type of home invasion is SOOO typical and frequent here in Argentina it's not even funny....and it's not just Buenos Aires...it's affecting alot of cities Rosario, Cordoba, Mendoza, Salta, Mar del Plata....it's really gotten bad here the past 3 years or so. This is exactly how they got inside my buddies house here. His father-in-law just returned from the supermarket was pulling the car into the garage.. of course my buddy didn't have a gun then, but he does now. They shot him 3 times, twice in the leg and once in the back...he was some months recuperating....

Yet of course all I hear about from people on other forums is how "safe" it is LOL....and how I'm "exaggerating" when I talk about how crime is becoming a big problem down here....Brazil too. I love it; they say "Well....when I visited I felt safe, nothing happened to me"

Well of course not, they only visited for 7 days and stayed in some posh resort or high rise with security. Coming here to visit is one thing....living down here, year after year after year is another....LOL

Even so.........In Argentina...we don't use pistols to fight back....we use "Katanas!"

The only problem with this is now that this guy "les pego unos tiros" now he's going to have to contend with reprisals. After our robbery I thought about getting a gun and my Argentine brother in law said: "Oh, you wanna get a gun, well if a chorro breaks into your home and your there, first you better be sure they're dead. 2nd, you better move out as soon as possible so you won't be there when family and friends return later to get revenge"

He's right, you better get them because they'll be back later...... "ajuste de cuentas" it's called....really common here. This is why alot of folks don't report crime...they're too afraid of the chorros

Was nobody shot in that video? They all keep running around...

That kids dead..I guarantee it...probably got a block and a half and collapsed. That guy popped about about 3 rounds right into that punks gut.....

I don't have any remorse for these "lowlife" "chorros and ratas" when I read daily in the news about what they do to good people....they deserve every bullet they get...

Wasn't too long ago here their was a home invasion here in Argentina, a guy and his 11 year old daughter and mother was home...I forgot how they got in. The guy wouldn't tell the "chorros" where the family savings were stashed so they shot his little 11 year old daughter once in the leg! Then, when they did that, the grandmother, who was also home at the time like in her 80's freaked out so bad that she went into cardiac arrest and died.

A block away from me, about 6 months before I moved in there was a violent home invasion...an old retired couple, just tied them up and beat their faces into "a pile of pure hamburger meat" before they robbed them blind. They beat the husband so bad he's permanently blind in one eye now and can't walk without assistance.

Does anyone remember last year in Buenos Aires when they're robbed the handicap guy and stole his Prosthetic leg" right off of him and then beat the living crap out of him and dumped him over the side of an overpass? Does anyone remember that?

Car jackings? Don't get me started...we average like 8 to 10 car jackings a day here in the Municipalidad where I live...it's like childs play. Earlier this year they tried to car jack a womens car ( she left it parked and running for a second in front of her house....big no no ) and she had her two kids in the backseat. Luckily they only got a little ways down the block before they popped the clutch and it stalled so the punks bailed out....like 13 years old these kids that tried to jack this ladies car....

They go to the comisaria, get a slap on the wrist, call mommy and daddy to come pick them up and they're home in time for "mate y merienda".....next day their back out on the street trying to do it again..

Welcome to the irony know as "argentina"

Right, we just keep moving away in fear of ajuste de cuentas..... the question is, how far and how many times are you willing to move before you run out of places to move to and actually have to stand your ground?
I think the concept of being affraid of chorros is wrong......they are the ones that should be affraid and the only way you do that is by standing your ground , and until that becomes the standard , chorros will never be affraid of a well trained armed civilian... which may or may not call 911

I don't have any remorse for these "lowlife" "chorros and ratas" when I read daily in the news about what they do to good people....they deserve every bullet they get...

I am very much against torture, mob justice or police brutality. But if an armed guy breaks into my home to threaten my family, all bets are off. He got what he deserved,

My answer would be, no, I dont think Buenos Aires is particularly dangerous.
Of course, I had my shop in South Central LA for ten years in the late 80's, and I didnt think that was dangerous either.

If you are sensible, and dont flaunt wealth, BA is safer than many US cities.
I have never felt threatened, and enjoy my time in Argentina very much.

But cop shows always get a lot of views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c1dsttinX0

Right, we just keep moving away in fear of ajuste de cuentas..... the question is, how far and how many times are you willing to move before you run out of places to move to and actually have to stand your ground?
I think the concept of being affraid of chorros is wrong......they are the ones that should be affraid and the only way you do that is by standing your ground , and until that becomes the standard , chorros will never be affraid of a well trained armed civilian... which may or may not call 911

The problem is that the chorros most of the times work in armed games and with "cartels". So you think it's worth the gamble? The danger that I would put my wife and my young 2 year old in over something like this? Besides, don't you know that alot of the police work with the chorros also? I'm not talking about neighborhood "ratas" "pungas" and the like. I'm talking the real deal hardened "chorros"... "boqueteros" the nutcases on "paco" and "crack" you know with the statues of "el santo de la muerte at home the "patront saint of chorros....think I'm joking? these guys are real....super dangerous..creepy...violent with a capital "V"

These guys will shoot you just for "having the pleasure of killing you"....they have little to lose here with a corrupt judiciary and laws that are rarely enforced. So you think if I get lucky in a home invasion and smoke one of these guys that i'm not going to get my family and get the hell out of there as soon as I can?

If you ever happen to be so unlucky to be caught in a home invasion here ( heaven forbid ), you better pull the triggert and make sure they don't make it out alive. Unfortunately...it's easier said than done...it's one thing saying you'll "do this or do that"...until it actually happens to you and your scared off your you know what and the adrenaline is pumping. Everyones always "talk" until actually happens to them.... And, if you do smoke one of these guys, you better leave town in a BIG way as well because you WILL have trouble. These guys are gangmembers, they are a brotherhood....you think if you bust a cap in one of these guys they're peeps are not going to come after you? My buddies family last July that was robbed twice in 2 weeks. The last time the police showed up ( because they were involved, yes corrupt policeman ) and told him, if you tell, try to press charges, we know where you live, where your kids go to school, where you go to work. Almost 20 years of living and running a respected charity here in Argentina....shut down just like that.

He didn't play, he packed up his wife and kids and got the heck out......as in out of the country. he told me he and his argentine wife will never return to Argentina again...

My answer would be, no, I dont think Buenos Aires is particularly dangerous.
Of course, I had my shop in South Central LA for ten years in the late 80's, and I didnt think that was dangerous either.

If you are sensible, and dont flaunt wealth, BA is safer than many US cities.
I have never felt threatened, and enjoy my time in Argentina very much.

But cop shows always get a lot of views.

https://www.youtube....h?v=-c1dsttinX0

Buenos Aires is an interesting case...
You have: "La Cuidad Autonoma de Buenos Aires" and then you have: Buenos Aires Metropolitana or "La Conurbana"

La Ciudad Autonoma - This is Macris gov't
La Conurbana - This under the control of the Provincial Police of Buenos Aires province and Daniel Scioli

Not only is the police force in Buenos Aires autonoma the most highly funded and highest paid police force in the country, it's also the most well trained. It's jointly coordinated by the "gendermes" of the branch of the Argentine army. Two of the big wigs in charge of the cities police force are former army cournals. I know this because of my friend who's a Malvinas Vet and former cournal in the Argentina army, artillery division knows them personally.

Even so, my wife was telling me just the other day that she was reading that folks in Recolleta and Palermo are still complaining that the security is getting bad there as well as compared to in the past.

The problem is "La Conurbana" the outlying municipalities....outside of la ciudad autonoma...under the jurisdiction of the Provincia police of BA...

Very poorly paid ( compared to autonoma, trained, funded and coordinated, corrupt, bad equipment....well you get the idea. Crime flourishes....

If you live "inside" the city of Buenos Aires especially neighborhoods like Palermo or Recoletta....that's the most secure urban area in all of argentina with the best police...upper crusty...you know Susana Jimenez, Roque-cardo Fort...the like...los famosos. Yet the average "Jo Schmo" middle class working argentine ( like me and my wife, living on the "peso" with 80% inflation right now ) we can't afford to live inside "la Cuidad Autonoma" like alot of ex-pats can and do with all of the "best of the best" and the perks of living in the "botox capital of the universe". It's expensive, high rent, outrageous....we can't afford it. So we live in the working class barrios in the outlying municipalities that surround autonoma.....

Well, the money and training and funding and equipment doesn't trickle down" to the police in these areas like it does in autonoma, so the security is a very different question all together.....trust me, I know. Many police that are corrupt, work with theives and criminals, cartels....it's a different picture, alot more insecure. So I can see why living inside the city would give one that impression.

In my city, I've even heard from argentines I know through the grapevine about some police officers not even having guns sometimes only a cachiporra or night stick because of poor funding or coordination. Well what good does that do in a shoot out with the crooks? And don't think the crooks don't know about this stuff...LOL..

The crooks here are 20 times smarter and more well trained than any Prov Police cop on the beat....why do you think so many of them work together..? you can't beat em, so why not join em? You'd be shocked if you knew really how common this really is here...

Back