Solar energy in Argentina

Robino

Registered
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had informations on the Argentinian market for solar electricity? I've been working on the financing of building integrated photovoltaics in France (photovoltaics panels as waterproof roof) and I was curious to know what's happening in Argentina in regards to that.

sunshine1.jpg
=
money_tree.jpg

Sunshine, Danny Boyle (2007) (excelent SciFy movie by the way)

In France the past year has been a real boon for solar investors and the market litteraly exploded. It's a very safe investments as EDF (once the public electricity company, now quoted but French state still has 85% of its shares. oh, and I think it actually owns a great part of Argentina's electricity companies) is legally bound to offer 20-year buying contract with fixed price (+inflation) for buying the electrcity produced by solar plants. This was meant as a legal incentive to promote renewable energy. The thing is, EDF has to buy the electricity at a very high price compared to their own selling price. Result: a lot of money is to be made with giant roof installations or solar farms. In the end it's going to cost a lot of money to the French state so now that a lot of project are on their ways the government wants to curb the frenzy by lowering the buying prices.

That said, I'm wondering what is Argentina's stance on solar energy. Are there legal incentives to promote its development? Is it considered as a promising market? As Argentina has a lot of free space (and quite a lot of sun) is there solar farms project already producing or on their way? Do farmers (in France it all started from farm building, we have a lot in the countryside) see their building as a potential source of money with the installation of solar panels? Do you know of any website that would calculte the solar energy potential according to where you are in South America (like this site which does it only for Europe and Africa)? ...

I haven't found a lot of informations on the web (I'll have to digg though) so if you know a website or someone, if you work in the renewable energy field, if you've read newspaper articles on the subject... I am very interested.

Gracias.

I think it would be reasonable to begin with Argentina's temperature fluctuation mapping, wind, humidity and all the related. Thats what I'd do.

I've checked solar power potential for some other Nordic country and its away too expensive. Even seasonal water heating for indoor use, forget the heating indoor air circulation. Plus initial investment is a killer. Unless Government willing to step up with finance, cupons, vauchers, rebates and the whole nine yards.

People started here in the US after that hurricane "Catrina" (if I am not mistaken)/ So I received a booklet with all the info to compare. NO WAY!. For a house size of 1700 sq.feet of air-conditioned space it gets up to 36K's total (including installation). And Government "step-in" with rebates (vary by county) in amount of $5K-9K's for larger square footage.
And if someone will grab a calculator and jack up a few numbers - its total financial disaster.
Especially in the US market sector where lower and middle class were "taking advantage" of multiple re-finances lately and after final "house bubble" (should I say - American Dream?) burst - the "solar power potential" is "out of window".
Rich people don't give a shit about electric bills - they are rich. Poor - cannot afford, plain and simple. Middle class? Do you see any left?
So once homeowner plunges into additional loan for the solar power for 10-20 years, the warranty for solar equipment is only good for 5 years.
An then what?
From a homeowner stand point it has to be rare combination: paid mortgage, sunny area (San Diego, CA?) and willingness to begin to mess around with the new burden.

Salut Robino,

Before focusing on your request, you must bear in mind that due to the augmentation of the sow of soy, you will find more information about renewable energies related to biofuels and even eolic energy in Patagonia than solar panels.

However, there are some programs aiming development of solar power.

Before I start, I hopw you speak Spanish. Otherwise, i can help you some other time. I study biotech and my major is renewable energies, including new solar panels.

These following are interesting links where you can get official information:

Secretary of Energy (White Paper 2004):
http://energia3.mecon.gov.ar/conten...vables/DescripcionDesarrolloyPerspectivas.pdf

There was an important, international seminar in June regarding solar energy in northern Argentina. You can track the whereabouts of the participants for further informationm I assume:
http://www.tucuman-conicet.gov.ar/news/news_13.html

I was organized by CONICET, National Commission of Science and Technical Education. Very reliable information.

I hope this helps and most of all you can get Spanish :)

Bisous et bon chance.

Back