Solar Power Generators

demokritos

Registered
Hello all,

In preparation for the upcoming power cuts - last year we had one stretch of 19 days straight without power in Villa Crespo / Palermo - I am looking into installing a solar PV system in my house that can handle relatively minimal consumption - something like 8kwh/day - a few laptops, a few fans, a fridge, and low-consumption bulbs. Anyone have experience with solar generators here, or know of trustworthy local companies working with solar installation? That second part is a big one - pretty much every company I've ever run across from an internet search (mercadolibre/google) has been either completely incompetent or malicious. The only positive experiences I've had with local companies have been from recommendations.

I have never seen a single PV panel in Buenos Aires, and I believe this is because electricity through the national grid is so cheap, that nobody would be willing to spend money for a PV. There are no environmental concerns here, and the only reason one could want a PV panel is because of outages (as in your case) or if their place is not reached by the electric grid (for those living out in the country).

That said, I suppose you are the owner of your home if you want to make such an addition. I am not sure if there are regulations about the aesthetic part of the job, nor if you'd need approval from the local authority. I can't recommend anybody since I have never seen PV panels here.
Also, I think they will be stolen in a matter of weeks once you install them. I would be more concerned with the reliability and the cost of the inverter you'd have to install to convert the DC current from the panel into AC current for your appliances. That's the most expensive part in a PV installation and with the import restriction enforced here, I doubt you could find a good brand decently priced. If the inverters fails, you have to replace it and it is the major maintenance cost you are going to face. Be sure your inverter will last long enough!

But keep us posted.

I hope this helps: http://www.tiempodesanjuan.com/economia/2013/10/3/primer-panel-solar-hecho-juan-estara-para-junio-2015-40810.html

This thread is pretty old.

Has this situation changed? Are solar panels/solar sourced home electric system possible in BA?

Back