Struggling to find an expat friendly brokerage firm for a Solo 401k

albion

Registered
Hi folks, I'm based in Buenos Aires right now but I'm an American citizen working as a contractor for an American company. My understanding is that I can set up a Solo 401k (aka i401k) for myself, but every provider I've checked (e.g. Charles Schwab, Vanguard, Fidelity, etc) seems to not support accounts from non-US residents. Has anybody found a solution to this?

Hi folks, I'm based in Buenos Aires right now but I'm an American citizen working as a contractor for an American company. My understanding is that I can set up a Solo 401k (aka i401k) for myself, but every provider I've checked (e.g. Charles Schwab, Vanguard, Fidelity, etc) seems to not support accounts from non-US residents. Has anybody found a solution to this?
In the end, not having a U.S. address is a pain. Have one.

Yes, you need a USA address, and do not say you live in another country...you are just visiting...but they don't even need to know that. You also need a USA cell phone number and not a VOIP number.... an actual cell number in the USA that you can receive text messages here. I have all these, and it's pretty easy to do them, although it takes some time. There are good USA mailbox companies and good cell companies to do this with and that work fine.

Thank you all for the sage advice! I do have a physical mailing address in the US but I've always been a bit hesitant to misrepresent where i live :/

I don't answer the residency question just like my lawyer told me to do. When asked where my residency is I tell them my domicile is at my sister's house and give the address.
"I don't answer" means you either state that you will not answer or go silent. If you provide an answer with your sister's address, you do answer the question.

"I don't answer" means you either state that you will not answer or go silent. If you provide an answer with your sister's address, you do answer the question.
No, I become a politician and don't answer the question of residency but answer a different question of domicile, hahaha. They ask for my residency and I say; "my domicile is xxx". I have never had anyone question me but if it's not a government employee I'd happily lie if they demand my residency address in the USA.

Back