Some non-essential stores reopen for business in BA

I'd rather die than be stripped of my freedom.
When it comes to a contagious disease, you’re also saying you’d rather kill than be stripped of YOUR freedom. See the imbalance?

I’m not saying that I agree with all aspects of the lockdown approach, mostly as a matter of personal convenience and mostly how it impacts the future of my business in argentina... But I also realize we have a lot of stupid people in this country who would spread the virus like in Brazil if given total freedom. That on top of our existing problems would collapse a country like Argentina - like really collapse it.

No, I don't want to kill anyone. I just want to be free to go out and do my thing away from others. Obviously if there are too many people per amount of free space, that would not be so possible. But all things being equal, if the space is sufficient enough, I want to use it.

And, I was saying that I would rather not live (NOT KILL) if my freedom were taken from me. More or less, in the same sense that I would prefer to be executed instead of serve a life sentence in a jail cell. It's simply no way I would care to exist.

No, I don't want to kill anyone. I just want to be free to go out and do my thing away from others. Obviously if there are too many people per amount of free space, that would not be so possible. But all things being equal, if the space is sufficient enough, I want to use it.

And, I was saying that I would rather not live (NOT KILL) if my freedom were taken from me. More or less, in the same sense that I would prefer to be executed instead of serve a life sentence in a jail cell. It's simply no way I would care to exist.
Please go to Brazil and leave us mere mortals alone.

I live in Caballito....the 2 large fenced parks near my house are closed. I have yet to see runners out and about. Only persons wearing masks in line 2 meters apart at banks, pharmacies, chain supermarkets and veggie/fruit stores. A municipal police person is posted at every corner after 8:00am.
You live a charmed existence. Here in Recoleta, near the Recoleta Cemetery, the parks are closed but the people on the street may or may not have masks. They may or may not keep their distance.

Buenos Aires is one of the most densely populated cities in the world - being away from people in public is not really possible or something anyone can guarantee no matter how consiencious they are - you could kill by passing on the virus without realizing simply by using your elevator, handing over your credit card, spitting on the ground when no one is around, opening a door, saying a friendly but moist buen día to a neighbor or accidentally letting out asymptomatic cough droplets (even if wearing mask, since the N95s are almost impossible to find here...) etc etc

The public isolation measures are a numbers game (like the virus itself) and its about minimizing these potential interactions in shared spaces. And ultimately we are just numbers of biomass ourselves in a situation like this, no matter how special our mothers tell us we are. Because of that the same rules need to apply to everyone in order to be effective, and also to give everyone a fair opportunity to continue to use these shared spaces in a manageable and safer way. Think of them as traffic lights ... we could argue that “give way” signs or giving drivers freedom to use their common sense instead would be better alternatives, but we know it would be a total cluster f$&@ for everyone on the road.

Last edited:
Whenever I hear someone being cavalier about coronavirus and how these precautions are limiting their personal freedom, I want to remind them that we are part of a community here and It’s Not All About You.
But, if that doesn’t get through, I’d ask them to read any well-reported stories (NY Times has a few) that make it clear that coronavirus is a terrible illness and a horrendous way to die. You basically feel like you’re drowning, you can’t get a breath, you feel like hell and then you die alone because no one can come be with you during your final moments.
If going through that or causing someone to go through that isn’t worth some restrictions on your freedom, I’m not sure what is.

Buenas!
Might be a bit OT but does anyone know if the used book stores in Plaza Italia are open again? I'm heading back to the US on the Friday flight and would like to pick up some more lit in castellano for cheap before I leave. Gracias!

Back