Something to be thankful for...

NaVette

Registered
So Thanksgiving is only a day away and I thought I'd share my recent experience in BsAs.

Last week, my 1 year old son had an emergency and needed an operation. Our first stop was Diagnostico. The ER doctor recommended we go to Hospital de los ninos because we do not have insurance and she says the surgeons are the same ones that operate at Diagnostico. That same night with my son in agony, we drove over to Hospital de los ninos. They were able to put him out of pain and admitted him overnight for observations.

I thought we were getting a room with at least one other patient. It was a room with 20 beds and 20 chairs - uncomfortable chairs. I have never been to a hospital where I had to leave in the morning so the cleaner can mop the floor, change my child's bedding, take his temperature, and do our own dishes. Only mothers can stay overnight and only 1 visitor is allowed per child at a time, except for 1 hour a day. The kitchen and bathroom for the mothers had 5 chairs of which only 2 had all four legs. The fridges were so old and loud it's amazing the children can sleep. Nevertheless, I was very enlightened. The nurses, doctors, volunteers, and mothers were INCREDIBLE. Considering that I was the newcomer, everyone tried to speak to me in English, the other moms pitched in to do my share of our work, lent me a towel, gave me diapers and clothing for my son because all he had were hot flannel pajamas. It was free.

We ended up moving back to Diagnostico to have the surgery after the first night, only because the surgeon worked there that day. He was the same one that was scheduled to operate on Friday at Hospital de los ninos, which we did not want to wait for. He was recommended by my OB. Overall, the surgeon was very thorough, found another problem that needed to be corrected, our room was clean and decorated very childlike nice. The service was okay. It was definitely not free.

In the end, what am I thankful for aside the health of my son? The people at the public hospital.

I am very glad all went well. Public hospitals in Argentina are not highly regarded by expats, mainly because they look old and rundown...they don't look shiny and modern like private hospitals. But the doctors there are the best Argentina can offer.

I'm glad you had a good experience with people at the public hospital. It's true that some of the doctors at the best private clinics also work at public hospitals but they work under different conditions, as you discovered. An important consideration is hygiene. Staph infections can be a problem even in private clinics. The risk is greater in public hospitals. You were wise to have returned to the IADT. I have had excellent experiences there.

The "Hospital de Niños" Garrahan (public, of course) is the best for difficult cases,it is the leading hospital in its field in (I think) all of Latinoamerica. I was operated there many years ago,it was a science-fiction experience, everything perfect,and everything free.

Do not confound with the older Hospital de Niños.

NaVette - first & foremost, I hope your son has a quick and uneventful recovery. Thinking lots of good thoughts for you.

That was a wonderful post and I'm so glad you had such a positive experience there. Thank you for sharing and it was a good reminder for me, especially at this time of year, to be grateful for all the good out there.

So when you go back to the United States thin about the lack of social services there and remember to dont become part of the crowd who hates foreigners "because the come to use our services".
You are a foreigner in a third world country and your child was not denied service. Poor third world people paid for your free hospital and nobody here hates you for it.

You may want to take a look at this.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3907096540955731120&hl=en#

And remember each gives of onesselves the best of what it has.....

Fair point but perhaps the OP works here and pays taxes in which case he/she is paying for their own heathcare and is not leeching the system...

Back