Soon-to-be BA expat with some concerns...

heyitsamber

Registered
I am moving to BA from Philadelphia in October. As an Anthropologist, I have some concerns about local/expat relations. Would anyone mind reading my blog post with my questions and offering any commentary/advice?
I'm really excited to be part of this community and would appreciate the support!

Thanks!
Amber

http://bsasorbust.blogspot.com.ar/

you can't get cheesesteaks, at least not chinks or pats steaks. (i'm a philips fan) anyway, the cost of living part of the blog paints the picture in a somewhat too favorable light, and bicycling is suicidal. other than that looks good. good luck, how long are you planning to stay? my one suggestion would be to bring the maximum amount of USD you can bring with you legally. rent a safety deposit box, and place them there. that is all.

would you mind posting the link to that specific blog post...I couldn't seem to find it.

Found it. Ok:
I think that the short-term/new arrivals expat community is more active. I guess they're more interested in going to meet-ups, learning Spanish, hitting up expat bars, etc. I find that longer-term expats tend to have more limited circles mainly based on interests, hobbies, etc (mainly because expats tend to leave after a couple of years...it sucks losing friends so often!). Having said that though, I'm sure if you go to places like sugar, beerlingual, etc, you'll have no problem meeting expat buddies (they just might not stick around for long!).

- I don't think that the community is big enough to really be recognized as particularly relevant by most Argentines (certainly not as a cultural force!). Again, this might be because most expats tend not to stay here more than a couple of years. There does seem to be more buzz surrounding expat chefs over the past couple of years. I think that's probably where they've (we've) had the biggest impact. There are a lot of expat writers, artists, photographers, etc...but I don't think any of them (us) have gained any great degree of recognition.

- The short-termers/newer expats tend to gravitate towards Palermo or San Telmo. The long termers are all over the place.

- I agree with the fuccolini that your budget estimations are a bit out of whack. Rentals have increased quite significantly for locals and for tourists even more so(20-40%). Your estimates for parilla, beer, wine, choripan, are between 30-50% lower than the current reality (inflation has hit us hard over the past 18 months).

- Advice - Don't sign a dollar lease (without working out something concrete in pesos)! Getting dollars here is nigh-on impossible and a lot of expats are being stung with black/blue market rates

I would love to know where you got all your info from - just a quick glance and this is what i see wrong:

Your temps are way out.. they have been around 5c (40f) every morn this week and the past couple of weeks, and in summer i have been here when its been 40+c for weeks (108).

The pop of BsAs isnt 3 million. Population of ARENTINA 42,192,494 (July 2011 est.), BUENOS AIRES (capital) 12.988 million; Cordoba 1.493 million; Rosario 1.231 million; Mendoza 917,000; San Miguel de Tucuman 831,000 (2009). Maybe your 3mil is the downtown area - a couple neighbourhoods.

Cost of living is probably more expensive than philly. I usually spend time in europe, nz and au each year, and for the past 2 years BSAS has been more expensive with the exception of public transport and some restaurants (if you compare similar quality BSAS is more expensive ) . I am talking about living like a local, not a tourist.

Anyways i would guess you are in for a few surprises when you arrive. Make sure you stuff you pockets full of US$ cash before you leave the states as you will need them, and can exchange for 40% plus above the official bank/ATM rate. Also bring 2 of every electronic item, incase once breaks, and any food stuffs you really, really cant live without as imported stuff is disappearing off shelves and becoming very expensive.

Wow! Thank you all for the helpful responses. Like I said, it's so much more valuable to hear from those on the ground than to rely on the internet for information! My information comes from my experience in BA last August (which I realize is completely outdated by this time!) and what other people have said online. My goal is really to
understand what I can before I arrive and to hope for the best once I do. I feel pretty confident that we can make it work, at least long enough to enjoy it, having done it in Philly for ten years. But I really appreciate all the heads up and tips!

fuccolini said:
and bicycling is suicidal. my one suggestion would be to bring the maximum amount of USD you can bring with you legally. rent a safety deposit box, and place them there. that is all.

Yeah, forget about bicycling. Total suicide.
Great advise!

fuccolini said:
you can't get cheesesteaks, at least not chinks or pats steaks.

Fuccolini, I think you mean "Gino's" right? I'm from Philly and I can't say I've ever heard of "Chink's" steaks. Pretty sure Gino just died in February. Half of Philly was heartbroken. The other half was saying, "Thank god it wasn't Pat!"

Anyway, I'd be happy to give you some specifics on comparing Philly to Buenos Aires. Along with a bunch of Benjamins in your purse you might want to bring a box of Amoroso's Rolls with you. There isn't anything like that here that I know of. Oh, and Tastykakes, scrapple, ....

On a serious note, PM me with specific questions and comparisons. Some things are better, some things are worse.

yeah, no chinks is way north philly past the betsy ross, they're awesome steaks. i kinda avoided pats n ginos because of the lines. but yeah, south philly institutions by all means. try philip's at 22nd and passyunk

Back