Soon To Be Expat From Texas

Luis Villasenor

Registered
Hi there. I am a 24 year old, soon to be expat, from Austin, Texas. I've got a TEFL and English Degree, and I also am very skilled at polo and horses. I speak fluent Spanish, and have visited Argentina before. I have a small network of polo friends down there, so I wouldn't be totally alone. I'm quite extroverted, tenacious, and very daring. I can live minimally without drugs or alcohol or eating out. My main goal is to stay in Argentina to learn what is like to survive in a struggling economy, absorb Latin American politics in general, take my Spanish to a higher level, and grow as a writer and scholar by living close to the major libraries and universities.

Is there any hope for me to achieve such dreams in the coming default? I know full well that I will not be living an expatriates lifestyle, and am quite prepared to adopt the argentine standard of living. I have 25,000 in savings, and support from my family back home, ( a $450 USD Studio in Palermo would even be payed for by them). I know it is a privilege to have rent paid, but even then I do not plan on living very extravagantly, as my mine desire is to grow as a person and absorb Spanish literature and Latin-American economics.

Best,
Luis

'Is there any hope for me to achieve such dreams in the coming default?"

No one will know but yourself. good luck.

Whether or not there will be a default is pure speculation at this point. What you can be sure is coming is a Peso devaluation. Get your rental contract in Pesos, not Dollars.

You didn't explicitly say it but I'm assuming you are going to try to work while you are here, and not just live off your savings. If that is the case then yes, you'll learn what it is like to try to survive in a struggling economy. Your parachute is your savings.

Of all of the people who've posted on this board in the last couple of years about wanting to come to Argentina to "Live the Dream" you seem to be one of the most prepared to do so. You have a decent back-ground for finding work here, you are fluent in Spanish (you'll probably need to adjust your accent), you already have friends here, you seem realistic with your presumptions, and you have an exit strategy.

I'd bet U$5 you'll make it.

Welcome and good luck!

GS

Welcome fellow Texan. You sound like you have a good plan. Having family back up and a hunk of savings is a good way to come down here and test if you like it. If you don't, you can always go back home. I think the goals you have are very realistic, and as you spend some time here, you'll see that sometimes there are opportunities in Argentina. In fact, in this country, there is so much that could be done that it is sickening. The big obstacle is the corruption and the government itself that makes everything 10 times more difficult than it should be.

But since you are a Polo expert, you might want to start thinking about the business aspect of it. If you have good contacts, Argentina is one of THE places to be in the world with anything horse related, especially thoroughbreds and Polo. If you can get into that sort of society then you will likely see some very good business opportunities. Polo is pretty popular here and you have what is perhaps the best polo player in the world in Argentina (I'm sure you already knew that). Keep your eyes and ears open and look for opportunities, you never know what might result.

But since you are a Polo expert, you might want to start thinking about the business aspect of it. If you have good contacts, Argentina is one of THE places to be in the world with anything horse related, especially thoroughbreds and Polo. If you can get into that sort of society then you will likely see some very good business opportunities. Polo is pretty popular here and you have what is perhaps the best polo player in the world in Argentina (I'm sure you already knew that). Keep your eyes and ears open and look for opportunities, you never know what might result.
Welcome! Just to chime in on the polo side: I spent 18 months living in a polo club, and I love the campo and horses. However, even though it is much cheaper to do polo here than Europe or US, it is still a very capital intensive sport, and there really aren't a lot of business opportunities, unless you can get commission by bringing foreigners to the many different polo schools here. Most players I know up to about a 5 goal level are all doing many different things, like playing for different patrons, selling horses, teaching classes, going overseas to play in other seasons, etc. Those that have a full-time patron are more stable and secure, but still don't really make that much money when it comes down to it, because there are so many expenses. There are businesses related to polo of course, like horse transport, equipment etc. but it is a relatively small market with very established players.

That said, I think that with your background, language, savings etc. you will be totally fine testing the waters for a few months. Maybe you'd want to try to get involved in the tourism sector? Best of luck!

Yep, everything Noruega wrote about polo is 100% accurate. I spent two months living in Pilar last year and I quickly grasped the situation for most polo players and grooms. I could gain commission from bringing in people from abroad. Or, I could do tourist relations at some polo club, dealing with English speaking tourists. I'm sure there are a thousand gauchos in the country that are willing to do the horse work I can do at a much cheaper wage, and with more excellent results.

I did meet many European and American foreigners working on polo camps. I imagine their pay is meager but their experiences invaluable. I have considered this path, because the Argentine countryside was so damn beautiful and I loved being with the gauchos. I have decided to live in the city because of it's cultural and academic opportunities.

I wrote my first post in the middle of the night and in a rush. Let me be more explicit, if you care to hear me out; I feel very elated by your positive replies.

I have committed myself entirely to literature and philosophy. Well, more literature, philosophy is more cruel but necessary. I am very cosmopolitan in my thinking. I have no real trouble establishing friendships nor being entirely on my own for extended periods of time. My main goals are to perfect my Spanish. I want to write like Borges. Well, if I could be half as good as he was, I'd die happy. Anyway, perfecting my Spanish, learning the struggles of an economy in distress, and enriching myself as a person through the many cultural opportunities Buenos Aires has to offer, are my reasons for moving to your city.

My literary goals can be met by the day to day interactions of being in the hustle. The hustle will be teaching English primarily, but I am really open to all kinds of work, because the language barrier will not be a problem. I just don't know what kind of opportunities are out there as far as 'Tourism' goes. I am here to learn from you all. I am working as a barman here in Texas, so perhaps I could do that in Buenos Aires? Or lead tour guides? Or work in hostels or hotels? I would like to be more informed in this respect.

As far as cultural enrichment goes... I currently live in Austin, Texas. I do not think this city is very sophisticated in its tastes for music or art. I think I am more likely to find public performances of Moliere in BsAs than in Austin. Once I arrive, you can be sure to find me at El Ateneo in a corner most nights and days.

I am very ready to work and perhaps live a lifestyle one class below my current one. It does not matter. I am pursuing knowledge for it's own sake and have abandoned myself to fate entirely. But, though I have very romantic ideals, I am aware of the practical matters at hand. I am 24 and very healthy and strong. I think I ought to make good use of my youth and virility. I think the hustle in Buenos Aires will be another education all on its own. I plan on being in BsAs for a year or so, until I am ready to move to another country and begin with another language.

Yep, everything Noruega wrote about polo is 100% accurate. I spent two months living in Pilar last year and I quickly grasped the situation for most polo players and grooms. I could gain commission from bringing in people from abroad. Or, I could do tourist relations at some polo club, dealing with English speaking tourists. I'm sure there are a thousand gauchos in the country that are willing to do the horse work I can do at a much cheaper wage, and with more excellent results.

I did meet many European and American foreigners working on polo camps. I imagine their pay is meager but their experiences invaluable. I have considered this path, because the Argentine countryside was so damn beautiful and I loved being with the gauchos. I have decided to live in the city because of it's cultural and academic opportunities.

I wrote my first post in the middle of the night and in a rush. Let me be more explicit, if you care to hear me out; I feel very elated by your positive replies.

I have committed myself entirely to literature and philosophy. Well, more literature, philosophy is more cruel but necessary. I am very cosmopolitan in my thinking. I have no real trouble establishing friendships nor being entirely on my own for extended periods of time. My main goals are to perfect my Spanish. I want to write like Borges. Well, if I could be half as good as he was, I'd die happy. Anyway, perfecting my Spanish, learning the struggles of an economy in distress, and enriching myself as a person through the many cultural opportunities Buenos Aires has to offer, are my reasons for moving to your city.

My literary goals can be met by the day to day interactions of being in the hustle. The hustle will be teaching English primarily, but I am really open to all kinds of work, because the language barrier will not be a problem. I just don't know what kind of opportunities are out there as far as 'Tourism' goes. I am here to learn from you all. I am working as a barman here in Texas, so perhaps I could do that in Buenos Aires? Or lead tour guides? Or work in hostels or hotels? I would like to be more informed in this respect.

As far as cultural enrichment goes... I currently live in Austin, Texas. I do not think this city is very sophisticated in its tastes for music or art. I think I am more likely to find public performances of Moliere in BsAs than in Austin. Once I arrive, you can be sure to find me at El Ateneo in a corner most nights and days.

I am very ready to work and perhaps live a lifestyle one class below my current one. It does not matter. I am pursuing knowledge for it's own sake and have abandoned myself to fate entirely. But, though I have very romantic ideals, I am aware of the practical matters at hand. I am 24 and very healthy and strong. I think I ought to make good use of my youth and virility. I think the hustle in Buenos Aires will be another education all on its own. I plan on being in BsAs for a year or so, until I am ready to move to another country and begin with another language.

Austin has some of the world's best music. On the other hand, it also has Rick Perry.

It's more a matter of taste ... et de gustibus non est disputandum (well, among strangers, and out of politeness)

You've got more than enough in savings to bankroll you for quite a while, esp if you aren't paying rent. That will give you plenty of time to establish yourself teaching classes or whatever you decide. The fact that you're fluent in spanish as well as english will be a huge asset as you know. You sound like you are more than prepared, come on down :)

Back