Spain vs Argentina - worth relocating?

TWB103

Registered
Trying to determine if it's worth relocating to Spain. Spain is supposedly a 'better' country economically but is it? Is it? From what I gather while the economic situation is much better than it was rents are high, wages are low, theres high competition for jobs, short term job contracts are common etc and etc. Spain obviously also offers non financial benefits but if you can't establish or sustain yourself then those benefits can't be enjoyed. Argentina has its problems but with an Argentine wife and 2 young kids maybe its -better the devil you know...- (..o--wo--wer-oo-wo--wer-oo-wer---oo-wo..)
Any opinions from those with current inside knowledge of life in Spain appreciated.

Trying to determine if it's worth relocating to Spain. Spain is supposedly a 'better' country economically but is it? Is it? From what I gather while the economic situation is much better than it was rents are high, wages are low, theres high competition for jobs, short term job contracts are common etc and etc. Spain obviously also offers non financial benefits but if you can't establish or sustain yourself then those benefits can't be enjoyed. Argentina has its problems but with an Argentine wife and 2 young kids maybe its -better the devil you know...- (..o--wo--wer-oo-wo--wer-oo-wer---oo-wo..)
Any opinions from those with current inside knowledge of life in Spain appreciated.
Not much inside knowledge to offer, but the cost to rent decent apartments in major cities in Spain is skyrocketing. You could say the same for nearly all the major cities in Europe. Even cost laggards like Berlin and Lisbon have been seeing major jumps in rent.

For some high skill jobs, there is a labour shortage, for low skill jobs, there is a lot of unemployment. As a Java developer you will easily find a job in Madrid or Barcelona, if you want to be waiter or have another low skill job, it may be tough, it depends on what you want to do.

Last year I visited some of the coastal cities in Spain and looked in the windows of inmobilarias to see prices. They seemed very reasonable to me but of course I was not looking in Madrid or Barcelona. What I did find were very clean and pleasant cities, full of history and culture and generally reasonable prices. People were polite and helpful. I have no idea about employment but what I saw I definitely preferred to Argentina and of course being a part of Europe has tremendous advantages rather than being here and so far away from the rest of the world.

Last year I visited some of the coastal cities in Spain and looked in the windows of inmobilarias to see prices. They seemed very reasonable to me but of course I was not looking in Madrid or Barcelona. What I did find were very clean and pleasant cities, full of history and culture and generally reasonable prices. People were polite and helpful. I have no idea about employment but what I saw I definitely preferred to Argentina and of course being a part of Europe has tremendous advantages rather than being here and so far away from the rest of the world.

So the onda felt good there? I watch the Spanish channel and they still talk about the 'crisis' and unemployment etc but nowhere to the degree that the argentine media deals with the economic situation here... Can I ask - are you Argentine?

Yes I had a very positive feeling in Spain. I really cannot comment on the employment situation there. I can say that the infrastructure is better. They have modern transport, an excellent rail system including high speed trains, for example. What I saw was clean and cheerful. I think there is a gap though between cities and small towns, the former being socially liberal and the latter relatively conservative. The main issue I heard people talk about was the secession movement - and the drought that was affecting crops. From my perspective being in Europe is a huge plus but not everyone cares about that so it depends on your perspective.

Spain is 1 or 2 notch above Argentina in many ways. Many Argentines live there. But it's not Argentina.

For pensioners with a fixed income, Southern Spain is a good option . The Telegraph travel Section lists the least expensive option for Holidays in the Mediterraneum number 1, is Bulgaria and 2. Southern Spain...My favorite spot is Fuengirola south of Malaga. Large Expats communities in Fuengirola. To find a job forget it.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/finns_flock_to_spain__not_just_for_retirement_anymore/7489437

View attachment 5099[/QUOTE

..To find a job forget it..

More difficult than in Argentina do you think?

Back