Spanish Classes - Wading Through The Minefield Of Options!

Emmatt

Registered
Evening all. . .

So my girlfriend and I, after a week in BsAs, are now starting to wade through the endless options when it comes to Spanish lessons.

We see advantages in both private and group based classes, which is just one thing we need to decide. The more posing issue is where to commit to! There are just so many options.

We've seen online recommendations for El Pasaje.
We've contacted a couple of private tutors.
We've contacted UBA and are hoping to get a response on course dates.

But now we come to you guys, hopefully to get some first hand feedback.

We are probably what the academic system would refer to as A2 level. Cost is an issue for us as we are living on something of a tight budget.

We heard a couple of years ago that local schools provided free lessons. Does anyone know if this is still the case, and if so which schools?

Any tips on decent options would be much appreciated.

Happy new year to all!

Lots of the public elementary schools do provide free classes in "Castellano para extranjeros" (Spanish for foreigners.) and the classes are extremely low cost. They are held in the evenings. However with school currently out now I'm not sure if the classes are available or if you'd have to wait until the school year starts again in March..maybe you'd could pop in to a local school office and ask....or check online but I don't know where! Sorry!

Acadaemia Buenos Aires offers a 'special' if your girlfriend and you study together. http://www.academiabuenosaires.com/novedades/index.php?id=150 And they do accept payment in pesos at the offical rate

I am starting there on Monday (group classes start each Monday at most of the schools). The school was very good in making sure that I receive instruction at my 'appropriate' level. If the school does not have a group at your level it provides one on one instruction (or in your case one teacher for the two of you).

I have tried other schools and private instructors. Minefield indeed! Don't hesitate to contact me by PM if you think my experience may be helpful.

Hi, I did An 'intensive 4 hr per day' spanish, for 4 weeks at one of the language schools. It was good and nice to meet others in the same boat and swap stories/ tips....but 4 hrs does not mean 4 hrs with breaks and lateness. I would advise for faster progress and those on a budget a fair bit of home studying using the Internet (there are so e good cheap program's online) and a private tutor to back it up.

We have been studying at Vamos on Coronel Diaz, just past the Alto Palermo Shopping Centre.

Pretty good crowd in attendance, nice teachers and haven't heard anything negative so far. Myself, like a few others have signed up a for a couple of additional times so worth taking a look if you're stuck for inspiration?

Thanks for the feedback folks, so we've been doing some more research over the last few days.
@rich one, that looks like an interesting website, we will certainly be using that to supplement our studies. Thanks.
A similar one is http://www.veintemundos.com/en/ which has some good listening exercises with tabbed, transcripted vocab.

We paid a visit to a private tutor which was, uhhm, quite a sour experience. To cut an unsavoury tale short, the experienced lady didn't take kindly to a couple of simple questions as to "what can you provide us that a group class cannot" and we were promptly and shockingly asked to leave with our tails between our legs. Huff.
I think her level of experience was such that she did not appreciate being questioned in any way, shape or form. She was the superior being, you see.
And since a b*tch-slap to the side of the head by my girlfriend was perhaps (only just) a tad drastic, we scuttled away into the searing sun wondering exactly what we'd done wrong! Looking back at it, I think we got off lightly by exposing this charlatan at an early juncture.
But an unsavoury experience nonetheless.

So back on topic, we are confident that we can build on our level of spanish with online materials and a textbook.
But in listening to the waves of the world, we will most likely join a group class to begin with, it gives us a little social exposure too.

Feliz año nuevo!

lol :) Sorry I laugh and sorry for your experience, but your cultural education has begun!

Back