Spanish Schools (VOS vs Expanish vs Vamos)

eva_rgentina said:
Hi everyone,
If anyone has anything good or bad to say about these schools, please speak up! Of course other recommendations are welcome too.
Thank you!

I recommend VOS ever since I started attending classes there. It has the things that you are looking for in your post.

A nice school in a nice, bright building (WiFi!)
The school is on the top floor of a four story building that is four blocks from the Tribulanes subway station. There is a lot of light and very little noise from the streets. WiFi and internet access has never been a problem for me and I use it everytime that I am there with my Apple Touch.

Great classes
I really think that this school takes a lot of pride in the teachers that work at their school. They are upbeat, energetic and always helpful.

Engaged social framework for meeting people and activities.
You can check out their activities on Twitter and Facebook so you can check them out yourself as they are always updating the photos and the events for each week. the great thing is that a lot of the events are free, from the tango lessons to the free tutoring.

Personally, I would not consider another school until you have stopped by and talked to them.

Hope this helps.

Can anybody recommend a school that does advanced classes? Particularly ones that concentrate on writing. Even better if it can include technical/business language.

My conversational Spanish is fine, but having never studied it formally I need to learn complex tenses and how to write!

Alzinho said:
Can anybody recommend a school that does advanced classes? Particularly ones that concentrate on writing. Even better if it can include technical/business language.

I can recommend IBL for this. Book a private 1:1 class there and tell them what you want to learn. Private class is maybe more expensive but you will be much faster as in any mixed class because not every people has same level (most problem in schools here).

A friend of mine has done the same (for business language) some years ago and have reduced the needed time like by the half. he was 4 weeks in private class and has learned in that time the same as mixed classes in about 8 weeks. But the private class don't will cost the double price of any other advanced class course :)

mendozanow said:
Cmon Jen or Ryan or whichever you are, you have opened another account on this forum to promote your clients who are also unsurpisingly touted in your "blog" (an adverising website).

You want to expand the range of your advertising. Fine. But don´t insult those who call it as it is, or pretend that you are disinterested posters.

Apologies for posting this a little late - I don't check this blog frequently and was shocked to see this response from Mendozanow to my post. I just wanted to respond to this accusation and clarify for more responsible users of this forum that I am not actually a spammer - I'm a real live student who has been going to Vamos every day for well over a month now. I saw eva_rgentina's post about Spanish schools and (considering that I recently went through the process she's going through and that I chose the school she explicitly mentioned) thought that it would be helpful to share my experience. Yes, I do have a blog which includes a very relevant post, and yes, it does have ads - which Google randomly generates (much to the entertainment of our friends back home who are following our adventures, as the majority are ads for drug rehab clinics due to the name of the blog). Hard to make the argument that the entire blog was developed solely to promote Vamos. And you're right - I'm not a disinterested poster; I'm a very satisfied student who would love for others the have the same good experience at Vamos that I've had.

Seriously, Mendozanow - your post is totally aggressive and uncalled for. Try to be more careful with your accusations in the future - I certainly hope that all new forum members aren't treated this way.

jeninba said:
Seriously, Mendozanow - your post is totally aggressive and uncalled for. Try to be more careful with your accusations in the future - I certainly hope that all new forum members aren't treated this way.

This is a forum to express views Jen. I have respect for you as a person here. But I also a have a strong BS detector, as many do here. I call it as I see it I see it, and I have no need to defend my credibility here. If you cannot accept it, or the truth, I respectfully suggest you refrain from opening up the forum.

Jen, let me buy you a drink if we ever meet, but spare us the false righteous indignation, please amiga . You know exactly what you are using this forum for.

Paz y suerte.

I thought I'd throw my two cents in on this post since I've just finished 3 weeks of group Spanish classes at Expanish. I came to BA on my own, with zero Spanish experience, so I was looking for a school where I could meet others in similar situations AND work on my non-existent Spanish! I was placed in a beginner class with 3 other students from all over. The other students at Expanish were a huge attraction for me-- super diverse, all ages, all levels of Spanish, and the environment was really perfect for getting to know everyone. In addition to sharing classes, the staff plans and promotes all sorts of activities for every day of the week- dinners, city tours, mate tastings, pick up football games, etc.

The teachers are local and the staff is international, making for an exciting environment-- you could tell the staff actually wanted to be there, which I personally think speaks volumes about an organization! Obviously, my experience with Expanish was a good one and I'd feel comfortable recommending it to good friends. There are plenty of choices throughout BA, but this one worked great for me. I was seeking out flexibility, a central location, interesting students and staff, and useful classes, and I definitely found it all at Expanish.

And for those of you who are bit skeptical booking something from overseas, pop into Expanish once you've arrived and check it out for yourself...one of my classmates even walked in on a Monday morning and was placed into a class for the week within an hour.

Suerteeee!

Just finished 3 weeks at Vamos and I have to say it's one of the best language schools I've been to. The school is very forward thinking, the staff are all lovely, and you get the feeling that they really care about providing a good service. My teacher was first class and after only 3 weeks I have an excellent grasp of spanish.

Back