Spanish tutor just increased rates by 30%

Assuming she is a good, qualified teacher who does lesson plans, prepares work, etc., I don't personally think 70 is outrageous.

I was paying 60 an hour/90 an hour an a half 6 months ago. 90 an hour does seem high though - I think 75 would be about my cap.

Now if it's just a conversational class with a native speaker and nothing more - 50 would be my limit.

Dont forget with inflation if she started the year at 70 by now she should be over 90

lets get real

starlucia said:
I'm sorry, but 70 pesos is absolutely a fair price to pay for QUALIFIED private language instruction. In the US, as an ESL teacher with a master's degree, I earn $53/USD per hour, and private Spanish tutors (with credentials and years of experience) earn no less than $30-40. Would you EVER pay a private tutor $10-12 in the US and expect high-quality results?

But we dont live in the US which is the same tired point I always labor (sorry, I just hate the wage comparison argument as it makes no sense unless all COL items are considered and no expat I know would expect to pay NY rent prices here just because rent in the US is xxx) . I do agree teaching is a profession and should be paid well but 90 seems a tad excessive..60 or so would be a fair rate for a true professional.

KevinK said:
Dont forget with inflation if she started the year at 70 by now she should be over 90

lets get real

Yes but that's really not the customer's problem. How many people's salaries here are actually rising in line with inflation?? Very few!
Like I said, if she wants to increase her fee in line with the real inflation level, she will price herself out of the market. Anyone who is here long or longish term on a local wage won't be able to afford it and nor will she be able to rely on the dwindling no of tourists (who don't want to pay US prices for a non-US service).
I actually find it a little annoying here how certain service providers (gyms are another one, I've noticed) are constantly upping their prices by 30% every 6-months to a year whereas other people are stuck trying to balance getting a half-decent wage without totally crippling their customers.
Move on, I say. We're in Argentina. We have massive inflation. It sucks. But why on earth should you foot the bill for one person or service to continue reaping the same profits as they would if inflation didn't exist (when everyone else is suffering). I'm kind of fed up of watching people shrug their shoulders and get their wallets out...If we keep doing that, it'll only get worse...

Back