Special dollar account for tourists

Who would have thought....? Why would the banks ever do this? What's in it for them? All that work to setup/administer/support a tourist spending account just so the gov can rob from them a little less. Yeah ok...

Who would have thought....? Why would the banks ever do this? What's in it for them? All that work to setup/administer/support a tourist spending account just so the gov can rob from them a little less. Yeah ok...
I had a good laugh about the $3 million thing... the banks here would make that back with fees, commissions, maintenance fees and sundry thieving faster than your head can spin. I suspect that the banks here must be very profitable, otherwise big international banks like HSBC, ICBC and so on simply wouldn't be here. Must be more to it than that.

so argentine. how about letting property owners that don’t want residency have a bank account to pay la cuentas automatico. due to reporting regulations of the US, HSBC closed my account 10 years ago. not easy. takes good friends willing to help. that part is not all argentina. maybe i need to put my place in a shell corporation in north dakota.

don’t remember the exchange rates but during that time you had a debit card that would exchange worldwide at the offical rate. deposit at the blue rate while there and make 30%. alot of parents put their children through college on the difference.

Still missing the point. For a tourist passing minimal time in Argentina bring cash, Chang as needed. Back it up with a credit card with no transaction fees. Honor the visa requirements. Could be the outsiders are sliming the system.play By the rules. You will have enough troble how to nanigate the moving targets. It’s great cultute

Still missing the point. For a tourist passing minimal time in Argentina bring cash, Chang as needed. Back it up with a credit card with no transaction fees. Honor the visa requirements. Could be the outsiders are sliming the system.play By the rules. You will have enough troble how to nanigate the moving targets. It’s great cultute

A tourist using a foreign credit card, even with no transaction fees, would be paying about double every time they used it, compared to using their foreign debit or credit card to make Western Union transfers to get extra cash in Argentina (especially if they have a promo code that eliminates the transfer fee).

A little over a week ago, making a transfer at the rate of 200 to one caused at least one member considerable "grief" over not getting a slightly higher rate a day or two later. I wonder how any tourist would feel if they didn't know about WU and used a foreign credit card to pay for anything in Argentina, and later discovered that they paid about twice as much as they "should" have.

PS: In my opinion, it's beter (and generally somewhat safer) for a tourist make WU transfers and go to one of their agencies to pick up the pesos than carry a lot of dollars when they travel and then go to a cueva as needed to make the exchange.

Last edited:
29 October 2021 by Pablo Wende
Banks will have to fight a battle with "arbolitos" to capture tourism dollars. Opening new accounts for foreigners will be extremely cumbersome....
totaly, you have to have a dni & tax code then maybe you can get one ....

Back