Standing out like a tourist...

So I was walking through Congresso, dressed formally (for a miloga) with my wife. We were not talking so that did not give us away.
A guy came rushing past from behind and in an obvious Argentine accent said "scuse me" The speed he past he only had seconds to make up his mind, so what gave us away? Baffled. :confused:

I was told the other day that I 'walk like a yanqui' because I look forward, smile, and apparently hold my shoulders high. They told me that argies look down and don't smile when walking the street.

They said they could tell my yanqui-ness from a block away.

You got it all wrong, it's dressing nicely that gives you away as a tourist. This afternoon I was strolling around the Recoleta fair and the only well dressed people were tourists, all the potenos dress like crap, so get out there & put on your ugly, outdated mismatched clothes & they won't have a clue that your not a native, cause it's only the natives that can find clothing so ugly!

Obvious tourists I recall seeing in el microcenter from last week:
- woman wearing outdoor trousers and matching jacket (think beige Gortex) ..you are no longer in Patagonia so ditch these in the city
- men 40+ with rucksacks..so touristy

tangobob said:
So I was walking through Congresso, dressed formally (for a miloga) with my wife. We were not talking so that did not give us away.
A guy came rushing past from behind and in an obvious Argentine accent said "scuse me" The speed he past he only had seconds to make up his mind, so what gave us away? Baffled. :confused:
I've heard,Scuse me, hello, thank you, your welcome, no problem, and the like thrown around in otherwise 100% spanish conversations by people who speak no english. Its possible that he didn't know. Otherwise, how tall are you? Were you staring at the pretty architecture?

1. Look around you and dress like the locals..
2. Dress down and look down..

3 and 4 are for entertainment putposes but can be applied if you speak spanish.

3. If you are man.. speak spanish a bit softly and really fast.. blending the words one into the other accenting the end of the words only...
4. If you are woman.. speak spanish loudly so everyone within 20 meters hears you.

PhilipDT said:
Safari shirtst tucked in to cargo shorts w/sun hats = tourist.

I've noticed a tendency to walk around carrying backpacks an Everest climber might find useful occasionally.

tomdesigns said:
3 and 4 are for entertainment putposes but can be applied if you speak spanish.

3. If you are man.. speak spanish a bit softly and really fast.. blending the words one into the other accenting the end of the words only...
4. If you are woman.. speak spanish loudly so everyone within 20 meters hears you.

Your idea of entertainment is a bit... twisted. I like that.

Back