Standing out like a tourist...

JoeBlow, I love what you wrote but one thing here is that people say hello to strangers when they enter an elevator...i did this in the US and I got very strange looks!

tomdesigns said:
But have you ever noticed how loud they talk?

No, I haven't. In fact, I can't. I'm hear impaired. I suffered a serious acoustic trauma at age five. It happened at a kindergarden friend's birthday party. I don't remember much. Only that it was full of annoying little girls.

tomdesigns said:
but in Corrientes.. put several of them together and it can turn into a shouting match.

Do you think they're the second cotton-producing province in the country by mere coincidence? What do you think men put in their ears every day?

On regard to my previous post, and truth be told:

I am the twisted one here.

It looks like you think you offended me. If that's so, let me ASSURE YOU you didn't.

I didn't just liked what you said. You rocketed me up to the madnessphere.

What I posted:

Your idea of entertainment is a bit... twisted. I like that.

What I should have posted:

My idea of entertainment is so twisted I love what you said and the ideas you gave me.

I liked what you said because you gave me the map to a hidden playground, and as soon as I entered it I was I child again, running around and pulling up the girls' skirts. My reply was supposed to show not just approval but also complicity, because I was sure you were thinking the same things I was thinking... So:

1. It turns out I was wrong. Actually, I was fantasizing.

2. You had reasons to see disapproval innuendo. You though I was offended.

3. You explained yourself politely and without finding my offended reaction offensive. Thats SO not Argie. Thank you for that. It's a breath of fresh air. Really.

Summary: I liked your comment so much you thought you offended me.

If my idea of what happened is wrong, remember the first thing I said in this message... I am the twisted one here...

Good advice from Mizzmarr, and yes mullets are definately in....shorts are the norm except as winter approaches I doubt I'll be wearing them until September. As a rule of thumb, I would say dress down if anything especially if visiting an area you don't know. Look around for anyone loitering before entering your house or flat as that is a common way to be burgled, keep the doors of your vehicle locked and windows right up while driving and parking *pay window cleaners 50 cents through a minimum crack ie. don't wind the window down* and pay special attention at traffic lights, never have anything on display on seats of your car. Use a reliable home security company, one that everyone else uses in your barrio for alarms and monitoring. If someone ever points a gun at you give them whatever they want without question, including your vehicle and say as little as possible, as the death rate during armed robbery here is extremely high. Try not to use flashy SUV's and 4WD's as they are prime targets. Carry a charged cell phone with credit at all times. A GPS navegator is useful in Buenos Aires while driving, keep it low on the windscreen, and pocket it and all visible items when parking as you often have to leave keys at parking lots. You need to avoid certain barrios especially at night, too many to mention here, you'll get a better idea from your contacts or neighbours. Hope this helps and have a great time in Argentina.

I wouldn't worry at all, shorts and t.shirts very acceptable, anything goes, in summer the men walk around with no tops on, very "brits abroad" to me!!!!

Markgeezer said:
Good advice from Mizzmarr, and yes mullets are definately in....shorts are the norm except as winter approaches I doubt I'll be wearing them until September. As a rule of thumb, I would say dress down if anything especially if visiting an area you don't know. Look around for anyone loitering before entering your house or flat as that is a common way to be burgled, keep the doors of your vehicle locked and windows right up while driving and parking *pay window cleaners 50 cents through a minimum crack ie. don't wind the window down* and pay special attention at traffic lights, never have anything on display on seats of your car. Use a reliable home security company, one that everyone else uses in your barrio for alarms and monitoring. If someone ever points a gun at you give them whatever they want without question, including your vehicle and say as little as possible, as the death rate during armed robbery here is extremely high. Try not to use flashy SUV's and 4WD's as they are prime targets. Carry a charged cell phone with credit at all times. A GPS navegator is useful in Buenos Aires while driving, keep it low on the windscreen, and pocket it and all visible items when parking as you often have to leave keys at parking lots. You need to avoid certain barrios especially at night, too many to mention here, you'll get a better idea from your contacts or neighbours. Hope this helps and have a great time in Argentina.

This is an excellent post consise and accurate! But damn it sounds like boot camp and marching orders... dress down and do not look flashy can not emphisize that enough. My soon to be wife is always on me to dress better but I prefer to look like I have nothing when I am out around town.

JoeBlow said:
Don't smile at people you don't know.
Don't say hi to people you don't know.
Don't say hi more than once a day to acquaintances you pass in buildings/on the street.
Don't make conversation for no reason with strangers.

So, can't agree with these statements.

I have heard a fair bit here about Argentines not smiling on the street or with strangers, and I have just found that to be so not true. I tend to smile a lot and it certainly feels like the majority of people smile back.

I think saying hi to people I don't know does give me away as a foreigner at times, but more than a few times people actually stop in the street and have a conversation with me (or if we are sitting on the bus they are already stopped). It's great fun. I love it. And I haven't spoken to someone yet who didn't seem to also enjoy the fact that I just started a random conversation with them without giving the impression that they think you are a total weirdo (which is the feeling you get from people in the UK or Australia or U.S.)! :)

Technically speaking, your experience (which I take to be completely true and by no means an anomaly) doesn't exactly have to do with my post.

The advice I've given is to not do these things if you don't want to come across as a foreigner. If you do these things (which are great things), well... it's likely you're a foreigner.

BTW, I'm going to add to my list—I've been updating it —that Argentines usually embrace foreigners (from certain countries) with a tremendous amount of what I think is genuine enthusiasm.

joelie said:
So, can't agree with these statements.

I have heard a fair bit here about Argentines not smiling on the street or with strangers, and I have just found that to be so not true. I tend to smile a lot and it certainly feels like the majority of people smile back.

I think saying hi to people I don't know does give me away as a foreigner at times, but more than a few times people actually stop in the street and have a conversation with me (or if we are sitting on the bus they are already stopped). It's great fun. I love it. And I haven't spoken to someone yet who didn't seem to also enjoy the fact that I just started a random conversation with them without giving the impression that they think you are a total weirdo (which is the feeling you get from people in the UK or Australia or U.S.)! :)

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet.

1) Stop showering
2) Stop shaving
3) And NEVER, no matter how badly you may need it, N-E-V-E-R use mouthwash!

Napoleon said:
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet.

1) Stop showering
2) Stop shaving
3) And NEVER, no matter how badly you may need it, N-E-V-E-R use mouthwash!

Wouldn't that make you French? :D

Back