Starting a business in CABA

Good for him, but he is not asking how to become a passive investor in some Argentine company.
You can own whatever % and still be a very active investor. No one is going to bar you from the premises you own or giving instructions just because you’re a student. Presumably the poster won’t be a one (wo)man show either.

Depending on the business plan, once established the company can also register at Migraciones to hire a foreign employee without too much fuss... some expert in exotic F&B ... and then the company can employ that same not so passive investor who can then change their migratory status to temporary worker for up to 5 years (obviously with a salary and taxes deducted at source)

Depending on the business plan, once established the company can also register at Migraciones to hire a foreign employee without too much fuss... some expert in exotic F&B ... and then the company can employ that same not so passive investor who can then change their migratory status to temporary worker for up to 5 years (obviously with a salary and taxes deducted at source)
And someday people will build a colony on Mars ...

And someday people will build a colony on Mars ...
I’ve done it in the past and know many others who have done it. Also understand it’s the standard model used for years by most Chinese family run supermarkets gracing neighborhoods throughout the country... so why not build colonies on Mars?

It’s not hard or ridiculously expensive - get an immigration lawyer to take care of it rather than listening to random posters on an Internet forum :)

Ummmmmm... why do you think that I want someone here to ask me why I want to get a second citizenship? That makes no sense.
Wonder (occasionally), not think. If everything in the world made sense, there would be no such thing as wonder, and the word wouldn't even exist.
Your posts are at times enigmatic, and that makes you intriguing.

I have a Cuit as an extranjero. Its no big deal. You go in, with photocopies of your passport, you wait in line, they give you one. Its not the same thing as a DNI at all, and can be done on a visa. https://www.afip.gob.ar/genericos/guiavirtual/consultas_detalle.aspx?id=375964

Again, I have met, personally, a good dozen expats who have restaurants or cafes. It is done all the time. Of course, like anything else in Argentina, its complicated, but you talk to people, you ask questions, and you figure it out.

As for rents- I know, right now, there are over 1000 small retail spaces empty just in the area between Retiro and San Telmo. I think there are always landlords, especially now, who will take some risks on garantia's in exchange for hard cash.
Again, it takes flexibility, perserverence, and desire- most things in Argentina do. But if you had dollars, it would certainly be possible.
A fair amount of small bars and cafes have closed during the pandemic. And, in Argentina, many will sit, still fully equipped, for a long time, dark and empty. Unless an oligarch is building a ten story building, not much happens fast here.

Can you work with a student visa?

Yes. You can legally work with any type of temporary o permanent visa. You cannot work with tourist visas.

Section 51 of the Immigrations Law (Nbr. 25.871) states that " Foreigners admitted or authorized as "permanent residents" may perform any remunerated or lucrative task or activity, self-employed or as employees, enjoying the protection of the laws governing matter. Foreigners admitted or authorized as "temporary residents" may perform them only during the period of authorized stay.

ARTICULO 51. — Los extranjeros admitidos o autorizados como "residentes permanentes" podrán desarrollar toda tarea o actividad remunerada o lucrativa, por cuenta propia o en relación de dependencia, gozando de la protección de las leyes que rigen la materia. Los extranjeros admitidos o autorizados como "residentes temporarios" podrán desarrollarlas sólo durante el período de su permanencia autorizada.

Source: https://baexpats.org/threads/can-i-work-with-a-student-visa.9696/

If I understand correctly, ALL DNI cards issued now automatically include the CUIT/CUIL.

Getting a Cuit, which is roughly equivalent to a US EIN, is simply a tax ID number. It does not give you the right to work. It is not based on your visa status. If you visit for a week, and want to buy real estate in that week, you need a Cuit, and they will give you one.
Buying or renting is not working, and is not regulated in the same way.

Working, legally, is a whole nother ball of wax- but renting a commercial space may or may not require a Cuit, depending on the landlord and their degree of law-abiding morals.
If it does require a Cuit, any extranjero can get one.

Getting a Cuit, which is roughly equivalent to a US EIN, is simply a tax ID number. It does not give you the right to work. It is not based on your visa status. If you visit for a week, and want to buy real estate in that week, you need a Cuit, and they will give you one.
Tourists can get only CDI, not CUIT, when they need a tax id number, for buying real estate, for example.

The same thing in the US, by the way, TIN - taxpayer identification number - is given to foreigners, not EIN.

Last edited:
Back