Can I work with a student visa?

Tom in Argentina

Registered
Hey you all,
I need help on this confusing visa-topic! I am here in Argentina with a tourist visa and I am applying for jobs. Unfortunately there are so many companies, that won't hire you, when you don't have a working visa (which you only get when you have a pre-contract with a company). So it is very difficult to get out of this vicious circle.
However a friend told me, I could also subscribe me these days for studies at the UBA and get a student visa. With this student visa, he told me, I would receive a CUIL. And with this CUIL I could work.
Anyone knows, if that's right?
Can you work with a student visa?

And when yes, how long does it take to get the paper work done in order to really have one.

Thank you so much for your help!

Tom

I was once in Argentina on a student visa. If things haven't changed since then, you have to apply for the visa at the Argentine Consulate in your country of origin.

Richard is right, to become a foreign student at the UBA and get a visa that way, you will have to first request a voucher/coupon from the Argentine Consulate in your city.

Or you could enroll in a private university, but that has a significantly higher price tag (not free).

As for working on a student visa, I am pretty sure you can.

Yes, you can work illegally on a student visa, just like in the US I guess

I guess you won't get send to jail and deported for 10 years if you get caught in Argentina

Actually my question was more, if I can work legally with it. A friend told me, with a student visa, I would get a CUIL. And that a CUIL would be all I need to work...

Anyone knows more about that?

Yes you can work legally. Just make sure you have the DNI. The employer is not going to investigate how you have you DNI or residency as long as the DNI is not expired. All they want is DNI and CUIL. I have lots of friends with expired student visas, but since their DNI is not expired, they still work with zero issues(TAM Airlines, TeleTech, Garbarino, Galicia).....yes, the irony LOL

Tom in Argentina said:
Can you work with a student visa?

Yes. You can legally work with any type of temporary o permanent visa. You cannot work with tourist visas.

Section 51 of the Immigrations Law (Nbr. 25.871) states that " Foreigners admitted or authorized as "permanent residents" may perform any remunerated or lucrative task or activity, self-employed or as employees, enjoying the protection of the laws governing matter. Foreigners admitted or authorized as "temporary residents" may perform them only during the period of authorized stay.

ARTICULO 51. — Los extranjeros admitidos o autorizados como "residentes permanentes" podrán desarrollar toda tarea o actividad remunerada o lucrativa, por cuenta propia o en relación de dependencia, gozando de la protección de las leyes que rigen la materia. Los extranjeros admitidos o autorizados como "residentes temporarios" podrán desarrollarlas sólo durante el período de su permanencia autorizada.

And the student visa is in the category of temporary resident visa right?

Back