Starting a life in BA

The Camrons

Registered
My family have fallen in love with BA and we are considering to make a move from Toronto and start a new life here. We are both professionals. My wife is a senior manager in a large consulting firm and I have owned and operated numerous businesses. At this stage we are trying to get a better idea on finding employment in the city. I would really appreciate if anyone could share with us details regarding : what is the best way to look for a job , what are the language proficiency requirements, what industries are most developed in the area, Salaries vs cost of living

Thank you so much in advance

Elad

Like anywhere, you have to speak the official language. Which is Spanish. Like anywhere, the country has a migration system. The first step is to investigate how it works and whether it contains any categories you can apply under.

Contact the Canadian Argentinian Chamber of commerce in BA. Ask for a listing of Canadian companies members active in BA. Follow up with these companies on local opportunities to be hired on expat basis ? paid in Canadian dollars? The local company would work out the work visa and migration issues.
The Chamber may a a listing of openings.

Other people aren't being flippant; if you can't earn in dollars remotely (CAD or USD) or in pesos pegged to dollars, you're not going to want to live here. The average wage in Argentina is less than $500 USD/month, and the minimum wage is $1.91 CAD an hour. People in Canada are worried about 7% inflation and $30 meat at Loblaws when it's 50.9% inflation and $90 meat in purchasing power parity terms for Argentines.

I was living in Canada before moving here to be with my husband, but I work in tech and index what I charge my clients in dollars. If I didn't I'd be struggling like 90% of the Argentines you'll meet.

My family have fallen in love with BA and we are considering to make a move from Toronto and start a new life here. We are both professionals. My wife is a senior manager in a large consulting firm and I have owned and operated numerous businesses. At this stage we are trying to get a better idea on finding employment in the city. I would really appreciate if anyone could share with us details regarding : what is the best way to look for a job , what are the language proficiency requirements, what industries are most developed in the area, Salaries vs cost of living

Elad

Seriously, Elad, listen to the warnings. You must have income in hard currency or you will be screwed, hard & deep. Argentina's economy right now is a dumpster fire in a train wreck. In this picture, Nahuelito represents Argentina. The fisherman in the foreground has income in dollars; the one in the background does not.

nahuelito.jpg

if you don't need to make money, argentina is fantastic. you can get a pretty good quality of life with 1000USD/mo.

As for as running a business. Argentina is probably one of the least friendly places to be a business owner. Your employees can and will destroy you. So unless you have a business where you won't have any employees...

If you can work as a consultant in tech and price your clients in USD (or CAD), you can get paid in Canada. Argentina will want about 60% of your pay if you want to get paid in Argentina in Pesos by someone with Not Pesos.

Elad
Professional employment in Argentina? If you don't have either a lot of luck or work for a foreign company with presence here or relevant personal connections who can open a door for you at a company where the work matches your language skills and background, then forget it. This country works mostly based on nepotism and trading favours especially the higher up you go. And quite frankly, most local employers would be secretly reluctant to take any recently arrived foreigner (especially from a "developed" country like Canada) for any position with decision making capacity as doing business in Argentina is too complex for a someone fresh off the boat to be able to comprehend and navigate from the get go without a lot of babysitting...

If you want to work in sectors where it is easier for foreigners to find work like a hotel or restaurant, you'll be earning like ARS 90.000 a month (and probably living in a cruddy worn out old apartment in a "nice" part of the city that costs ARS 70.000 a month...)

As everyone else will tell you, you’re better off investing your time exploring ways you can make a living from your professional activities remotely for clients abroad.

And/or start a business. But to do that the latter, you have to investigate the immigration process. Start from first principles: if I want to become a migrant to Argentina, what immigration options does the country offer? Even working remotely for clients abroad (i.e., starting a new life here without becoming a migrant) cannot be done without understanding the entry rules at the border. Or the tax rules, for that matter.

Back