Status of DNI processing

jantango

Registered
I assisted an elderly gentleman at the Ministerio del Interior, Hipolito Irygoyen 952, last September 9 in the process of obtaining a new copy of his DNI. Attached to the receipt is a slip of paper that states "the new DNI will be delivered to your home within 60 days, at which time you have to produce the solicitude de tramite for the national identity document."

Five months later, his new DNI has not been delivered nor has any notice of attempted service been received. I decided to pay a visit to the Ministerio del Interior yesterday.

First you wait in line to get a number from a person who directs you to Section T to wait in line for them to investigate the status of your document. Hundreds of foreigners are unable to do anything without their DNI, and they were there for a status report as well. Two hours to find out that they Ministerio del Interior has a huge backlog and you have to wait for your DNI to be delivered perhaps by the end of March.

There is no way to check the status of processing your DNI online. If you go to the place where you initiated the paperwork, you'll spend hours waiting in line as I did only to be told to be patient. This is how all governmental agencies work.

Don't bother to go to check on the status. Try to manage without your DNI. It will eventually get processed and delivered it to your door. What do you expect for 35 pesos? On-time delivery?

OOOps. I could be wrong...two years ago is to long to remember five pesos.

Perhaps I gave them 40 pesos and got five back in change.

Who cares?

My fiance renewed his DNI last month and although they said it'd be sent in 10 days, it came in 20. A lot better than 5 months anyway! ;)

He did it at Unicenter mall so it was more expensive, 85 pesos.

The process was a bit of pain... :rolleyes: get there early to stand in line, then they give out 70 numbers... if you're number 71 or you get there after numbers are given out you're turned away and have to come back the next day. Then you wait in line some more, until you move up and pick your appointment time from the slots available (if I remember right, appointments didn't start until a couple hours later, so you had to come back or walk around the mall a bit no matter what... which is what we did.) Then when it's your appointment time, you go to the booth and wait again until they call your name (they were pretty on-time with the appointments, within 10 minutes.)

Not the most streamlined process, but it wasn't that bad I suppose. At least you can have a cup of coffee or window shop as you're waiting. :p

An older woman in line was waiting to schedule an appointment for her daughter, who had previously gotten her DNI done but never received it. I'm not sure what ended up happening in her case, but it seems you can go through the process again to renew.

I got mine within 60 days after having my permenant residnecy approved, but my partner has now been waiting for over 3 months for his new version DNI, although he has his original.

We were headed to States last July so we needed passport for our then 12 month old. Passport arrived after about 4 weeks with spelling error. To get the passport fixed we went down to the office around San Telmo and while my wife waited in the various lines I looked around for a grandmother-type woman figuring only "she" would be able to cut through tape and get us a passport fix in time as by then we were scheduled to leave in a few days. Sure enough I found "her" and she did help and we did get a second passport within days. Here we are 8 months later and our son's new DNI which we had to register for at the same time has still not arrived. We do have the one we got from our neighborhood admin when we registered his birth so it is not a problem. We are thinking of making a day out of going down to find out what happened to his DNI.

Just managed to get out of the Migraciones building at Hipolito Irygoyen this morning, after booking an appointment from 8am - 10am, got there at 7.20 the queue was already round the corner. Was finally seen at 9.40am and was out of there by 9.55am! And yes, the cost is 40 pesos. The website says 35 but they charged 40.
They say the DNI will be with me in 60 days. from what I've read here, I won't be expecting it anytime soon!

Back