Stay away from this apartment rental

ghost said:
Does anyone know how to save the entire thread so we can repost it as a Blog. [name that Blog]

There has to be a better way, but I copied and pasted everything in this thread into a Word doc and will be updating it daily, for my personal records.

mini said:
Cuz she made it herself to support her scams.

Did we already list the address of the apartment that is being used in this scam? Clearly she'll be changing names soon.....

The address is: Larrea 1393, #PB2, at the corner of French in Recoleta. I really want to warn the next tenant somehow... about a dozen prospective renters saw the place in the last few weeks I was in there so it's only a matter of time before they strike again.

ghost said:
Well,OK, Good, this has been effective. The Wiki is now sited for deletion, the Blog is down and Craigslist is gone. She knows what's going on here. And shes scrambling to cover. My guess is that on Monday Igor will get a call from an "attorney" demanding that this thread be removed from the site. [pending litigation or some half baked veiled threat]
Does anyone know how to save the entire thread so we can repost it as a Blog. [name that Blog]

Yes, it might happen but that's not so sure : she might want to keep a very low profile (two foreigners got apparentely scammed with the same scheme. I personally tend to believe them like all of us in fact !).
If she escalates, it might, once again come back at her (I don't know how the Bar of lawyers work here but it's not a good publicity for her if she scammed people together with her mother, using the exact same scheme).
Furthermore we don't know if she really has got all those diplomas she mentionned (London School of Economics, and so on..)... Maybe yes, maybe not... Nobody here said she has not ! But if she has not = potential trouble for her.

Too, she might not want to take risks with AFIP + getting more publicity like appearing in the news (because we achieved something quite extraordinary : this thread reached +100 post & +3700 views in about 12 hours...).

Anyway, one of the members who lives here who was, apparentely (I put the conditional, he he !), defrauded still has time to file a denuncia since, if I recall correctly, prescription to file a denuncia here is equal to the maximum penalty appearing the criminal code for the related delictious act.

Everything has been done in a legal way in this thread.

Anyway, ALL the information we posted was made PUBLIC by herself.

Too, it wouldn't be a problem for Igor to wipe out this thread (please tell us before) : In this case, we just need to republish it in = USA, Canada, UK Germany, France, Switzerland, Australia, wherever... If republished ten times in ten different countries, it will be impossible to remove it while making even more "noise" !

The funny thing is that she is reading those lines : if I was in her situation and if I was innocent, learning about this thread, I would have replied right away and offered to prove my innocence. I would have not wiped out all the sites I created.

So : yes, it would be good for someone (or a few people) to download an image of this thread. If the thread is removed, then we'll have the material to decide what to do (like republishing 10 times in 10 countries or not).

Still, she will likely pretend she didn't give back the deposits because the apartments were damaged (that's what I would say !) but it's really odd to find two times the same story (with her leaving and her mother never coming back...) affecting two different people (one of which being a long time member here, with many posts and so on...).

The only point of Law I wonder about is this one : Pictures that were made public by its author may, of course, be freely linked or downloaded. If the pictures are made, afterwards, private, I don't know what's the legal situation of the pictures that were previously downloaded. I can search though. Anyway, it's not a big deal.

Florencia, como vas a leer eso, estas invitada a comentar, por supuesto, gracias.

Anyway, all this story is quite interesting regarding a new concept in Law : in French it's called "Le droit à l'oubli numérique" (the right to digital forgetness), meaning that if your name appears in a negative story, for how long should your name appear on the net ?

It's true it's going to be a big pain in the arshe for her to see her name on the net associated to this story : it will likely follow her for the next 5 years or more.

As for a lawsuit, yes she could threaten the webmaster here (likely with injurias) but the facts attributed to Florencia Daud can lead to a criminal sentence, so it would be possible to prove that those facts really took place (it's just what I found quickly... I'll search deeper) :
ARTICULO 111. - El acusado de injuria, en los casos en los que las expresiones de ningún modo estén vinculadas con asuntos de interés público, no podrá probar la verdad de la imputación salvo en los casos siguientes:

1) Si el hecho atribuido a la persona ofendida, hubiere dado lugar a un proceso penal.

Sincerely, it would be her interest to keep a low profile I guess. And if this thread stays in place, I think it would be fair to remove it in two or three years (no need to break a reputation for +5 years... Everybody has the right to a second chance if she misacted in the first place of course).

In fact, if she was to threaten the webmaster here, by doing so she would infuriate +100 foreigners from +20 different countries : main risk would be to disseminate this thread all over the globe.... While keeping this thread unique & in only one place makes all this story much more controlable in the future... C'est un choix Cornélien !

Good job, posters, even if it did resurrect Cabrera, the BAexpat analog of Elm Street's Freddy Kreuger. Pauper, as the one claiming principle responsibility for this deed and even going so far as to claim entitlement to a reward, your "prize" is having to go out with Cabrera on a double date with AKBill during his first date with Florencia. Hopefully, you can prevent Cabrera from interferring with AK's attempt to seduce Florencia.

This thread has been linked and touted at tripadvisor where it will get a lot of exposure. I'm sure Ms Daud's nerves are frayed worrying about how to now cope with the enormous negative publicity arising from the exposure of her criminal conduct and the very real possibility of impending sanctions from AFIP and other local authorities. That is quite apart from any sense of remorse or shame she may be suffering, assuming, of course, that her legal training hasn't totally deadened her capacity to feel remorse and shame.

If conduct such as hers were brought to the attention of the local bar association in any US jurisdiction there would be serious consequences including possible license suspension. I suspect Argentina's lawyer licensing authorites may have similar sanctioning remedies for criminal conduct such as described in this thread. Time will tell.

darmanad said:
Good job, posters, even if it did resurrect Cabrera, the BAexpat analog of Elm Street's Freddy Kreuger. Pauper, as the one claiming principle responsibility for this deed and even going so far as to claim entitlement to a reward, your "prize" is having to go out with Cabrera on a double date with AK47Bill during his first date with Florencia. Hopefully, you can prevent Cabrera from interferring with AK's attempt to seduce Florencia.

This thread has been linked and touted at tripadvisor where it will get a lot of exposure. I'm sure Ms Daud's nerves are frayed worrying about how to now cope with the enormous negative publicity arising from the exposure of her criminal conduct and the very real possibility of impending sanctions from AFIP and other local authorities. That is quite apart from any sense of remorse or shame she may be suffering, assuming, of course, that her legal training hasn't totally deadened her capacity to feel remorse and shame.

If conduct such as hers were brought to the attention of the local bar association in any US jurisdiction there would be serious consequences including possible license suspension. I suspect Argentina's lawyer licensing authorites may have similar sanctioning remedies for criminal conduct such as described in this thread. Time will tell.

Coming from an US Attorney, it can't be summed up any better !

Hi -

None of the links you listed at the end of this worked. Your experience sounds terrible. So sorry.

Bailey Essrog said:
My six-month stay in Buenos Aires ended on a bad note this past Tuesday when I was scammed out of the deposit for the apartment I had been renting for three months starting in August. The apartment owner's name is Valeria de Santos and the unit in question is located in Recoleta, at Larrea 1393 at the corner of French, apartment #PB2. I found it on Craiglist and jumped at the chance to live in a nice area for a relative bargain, though in hindsight renting through an agency or through a referral may have been the smarter way to go.

I had told Valeria that I needed to check out at noon because a cab would be waiting to take me to the airport. She arrived late with her mother and inspected the apartment to make sure it was in good order (it was). Valeria said that my deposit was waiting for me at her mother's office, which was supposedly just a few blocks away, off of Pueyrredon and Santa Fe. She asked if her mother could get in the cab with me and get dropped off by her office where she would retrieve the deposit and return it to me.

I had dealt directly with the mother before when I first occupied the apartment so I didn't find her suggestion odd. But I now realize that I made a number of mistakes. First, I returned the keys to Valeria before getting my deposit back. Secondly, I let my guard down and didn't think to accompany her mother to the "office" after we dropped her off at the corner, opting instead to wait for her in the cab with my luggage.

The mother disappeared down the street and never returned. I waited 45 minutes and called Valeria a dozen times before telling the driver that we needed to leave because I couldn’t miss my flight. I called her numerous times at the airport and e-mailed her with no response. I was finally able to reach her Wednesday, when she assured me that she would wire the funds to me via PayPal that same day. Well, it didn't come through, and I've been calling and e-mailing her since with no luck. My messages to her have gotten angrier and angrier to the point where I threatened to hop on a plane the next day and come looking for her -- which I would be crazy enough to do if I was confident I could track her down.

The strange thing is that Valeria and her mother were a pleasure to deal with during my three-month stay in the apartment, responding to my calls and e-mails and showing up to address any problems promptly. It's bizarre that they would pull something like this off at the very end.

I'll continue to call and e-mail and harass Valeria and her mother in any way I can until I get my money back, and perhaps I'll find myself in Buenos Aires sooner than I think. But for now, I'd just like to defame her on every relevant forum I can find and bring awareness to what I went through. Hopefully you'll learn from my mistakes.

Here are a bunch of recent Craigslist listings for the apartment in question:
…craigslist.org/roo/1998504442.html
…craigslist.org/sub/1998498417.html
…craigslist.org/sub/1998150201.html

Here is a website for an apparent concierge service Valeria runs in Buenos Aires:
http://www.buenosairesguest.com/

Here's a headshot of what she looks like:
http://www.buenosairesguest.com/about-us.html

I've had a couple of near misses on apartment rentals/deposits, etc and you know what? In both cases, the owners were lawyers. They know how the system works and have people in high places protecting them. If this woman is really a lawyer, good luck on getting anything to stick. Is she?

pauper said:
On TripAdvisor someone is now offering Bailey a week's free stay in one of their luxury BA apartments as compensation!

The site linked to from her wikipedia page Portal de Abogados, has the following forum:
Derechos del Usuario y del Consumidor

Is anyone with better Spanish than me game?
Google translator does the entire site. You can even register and post if you wish..................................

Back