Stay away from this apartment rental

bradlyhale said:
dont_feed_the_trolls.jpg

:)
I hope you are not referring to me as a troll?:confused:

French jurist said:
Pretty usual scam I'd say.

But since you seem legit', I've got good news, you are likely to get your deposit back, really quickly !

How ?

Plain and simple : No need to send her dozens of emails, have HER send you dozens of emails to tell you she IS going to send you back the deposit.
Threaten to report her to the local IRS : AFIP

http://www.afip.gov.ar/contacto/

Centro de denuncias : 0800-999-2347

Hello French Jurist
Is there a way to keep this helpful advice always visible in the front page of baexpats.
Reina

Bailey Essrog said:
My six-month stay in Buenos Aires ended on a bad note this past Tuesday when I was scammed out of the deposit for the apartment I had been renting for three months starting in August. The apartment owner's name is Valeria de Santos and the unit in question is located in Recoleta, at Larrea 1393 at the corner of French, apartment #PB2. I found it on Craiglist and jumped at the chance to live in a nice area for a relative bargain, though in hindsight renting through an agency or through a referral may have been the smarter way to go.

I had told Valeria that I needed to check out at noon because a cab would be waiting to take me to the airport. She arrived late with her mother and inspected the apartment to make sure it was in good order (it was). Valeria said that my deposit was waiting for me at her mother's office, which was supposedly just a few blocks away, off of Pueyrredon and Santa Fe. She asked if her mother could get in the cab with me and get dropped off by her office where she would retrieve the deposit and return it to me.

I had dealt directly with the mother before when I first occupied the apartment so I didn't find her suggestion odd. But I now realize that I made a number of mistakes. First, I returned the keys to Valeria before getting my deposit back. Secondly, I let my guard down and didn't think to accompany her mother to the "office" after we dropped her off at the corner, opting instead to wait for her in the cab with my luggage.

The mother disappeared down the street and never returned. I waited 45 minutes and called Valeria a dozen times before telling the driver that we needed to leave because I couldn’t miss my flight. I called her numerous times at the airport and e-mailed her with no response. I was finally able to reach her Wednesday, when she assured me that she would wire the funds to me via PayPal that same day. Well, it didn't come through, and I've been calling and e-mailing her since with no luck. My messages to her have gotten angrier and angrier to the point where I threatened to hop on a plane the next day and come looking for her -- which I would be crazy enough to do if I was confident I could track her down.

The strange thing is that Valeria and her mother were a pleasure to deal with during my three-month stay in the apartment, responding to my calls and e-mails and showing up to address any problems promptly. It's bizarre that they would pull something like this off at the very end.

I'll continue to call and e-mail and harass Valeria and her mother in any way I can until I get my money back, and perhaps I'll find myself in Buenos Aires sooner than I think. But for now, I'd just like to defame her on every relevant forum I can find and bring awareness to what I went through. Hopefully you'll learn from my mistakes.

Here are a bunch of recent Craigslist listings for the apartment in question:
…craigslist.org/roo/1998504442.html
…craigslist.org/sub/1998498417.html
…craigslist.org/sub/1998150201.html

Here is a website for an apparent concierge service Valeria runs in Buenos Aires:
http://www.buenosairesguest.com/

Here's a headshot of what she looks like:
http://www.buenosairesguest.com/about-us.html

if ur coming back to Argentina anyday i have no problem driving you around till u check all the locs you need to find her.

TheBlackHand said:
So you're worried that an internet troll called you a troll ?

It takes one to know one.:p

(sung to the tune of na-na-na-nana).

I didn't call you anything. But if you are coming into this thread to do nothing but troll me then that would indeed qualify you as a troll. Good luck with that.

French jurist said:
Did you just call me a troll ? You are a troll !

this happened to my husband and i . we rented a horrible apartment on marcelo t de alvear, 1467, departamento 22.

the old rich woman, who was supposed to return the deposit (my husband's dad painted the whole apartment twice and fixed every single door that she left for us completed messed up...) never ever returned it. she is famous for not paying back...

btw, whats up with the troll discussion? i thought we were talking about scams...

Back