Steak

Redbeanz

Registered
Just read this Buenos Aires Foodies post:
http://www.buenosairesfoodies.com/2015/06/04/steaks/

While we don't usually go to the "downtown tourist-friendly parillas" mentioned in the blog, I was rather surprised to read that these places commonly charge "USD 45-55" for a steak? True?

Steak by Louis is commended in almost every English blog post about Buenos Aires I have ever read. However, with a price tag of USD50 per person, I doubt I will ever set foot in there.
It sounds too an American-priced venue for Americans, surely the meat is heavenly, but not my kind of place/price for a steak in Buenos Aires.

I just wonder if a porteno would ever eat in a place like that. I'm living in one of the most expensive cities in the world (London). Argentine parillas are scarce here, yet they do exist. Most of them are very posh, in elite neighbourhoods. Here, the really good ones charge cca $15-30 for a steak (not including drink, dessert etc). Argentine beef, prepared according to personal preferences etc. I'm not particularly keen on beef. If you want to eat in a restaurant that charges $50 in BA, I guess it would be more about status quo than the beef.

In Milan there are just two renowned Argentine restaurants (Javier Zanetti's "El gaucho" and "Don Juan") and USD50 is definitely not enough to have a full meal there. You can read Don Juan's menu with prices here.

Bife de chorizo €25 - USD 28
Asado de tira - €23 - USD 26
Empanadas €5/each - USD 5.64
Cubierto - €4 - USD 4.5

Probably in Puerto Madero there are rich portenos spending more than USD50/each, but of course that's in a venue to see and to be seen. :)

You must be joking for that quality of beef?

Ah - your "that quality of beef" comment makes me think you believed I was questioning the prices at Steak by Louis. Not at all. Rather, I was questioning the blogger's statement that USD 45-55 is a normal price for a steak in "tourist-friendly" restaurants in BsAs. In general, we don't seek out "tourist-friendly" places, but I suppose La Cabrera would be one. Even there, you wouldn't pay that. So I was curious about the experiences of others on the forum.

Ah - your "that quality of beef" comment makes me think you believed I was questioning the prices at Steak by Louis. Not at all. Rather, I was questioning the blogger's statement that USD 45-55 is a normal price for a steak in "tourist-friendly" restaurants in BsAs. In general, we don't seek out "tourist-friendly" places, but I suppose La Cabrera would be one. Even there, you wouldn't pay that. So I was curious about the experiences of others on the forum.

I haven't been to Cabaña Las Lilas for quite a while, but I expect you might be able to run up a big bill there.

I haven't been to Cabaña Las Lilas for quite a while, but I expect you might be able to run up a big bill there.

You're right -- had thought about Cabaña LL., but discarded the thought because not too many tourists would find it friendly!

I can think of a few times we've hit 50 bucks per person, but that's a full-on parrilla including some damn fine wine.

But I have to say that even the more dumbed-down Murrikins probably would question a steak at the same price as a visit to Ruth's Chris, Morton's, or Smith & Wollensky.

Back