stevia vs sugar

sergio

Registered
I've heard that stevia is good alternative to sugar. Does anyone have anything to say about this? Can it be bought in BA?

I’ve seen Stevia sold in more forms in more places in BA than the other artificial sweeteners.

I personally don’t care for the taste of Stevia, but others prefer it because it supposedly comes from a “natural“ source. Stevia has not undergone the long years of testing compared to other artificial sweeteners on the market, so I would say it is yet to be determined if it is safe.

Fun fact about stevia: it's native to Brazil and Paraguay.

--The plant Stevia rebaudiana has been used for more than 1,500 years by the Guaraní peoples of South America, who called it ka'a he'ê ("sweet herb"). The leaves have been used traditionally for hundreds of years in both Brazil and Paraguay to sweeten local teas and medicines, and as a "sweet treat"

Sergio, I'm an OBGYN but I have been studying nutrition for the past 3 years (on the side). What I can tell you about stevia (so far) is that, considering all artificial sweeteners, it appears to be the safest choice. If you decide to use the powdered version, you must know it's 95% sucrose (which is just a fancy way of saying sugar - it's the chemical name of sugar, actually) and 5% stevia. Now the liquid version is indeed mostly stevia (and some preservative), so I would recommend you stick to that one. Aspartame has shown to alter the microbiome (a huge "zoo" of microorganisms we host in our bodies - i.e gastrointestinal tract, urinary tract, etc - They do wonderful things for us!) and sucralose has been linked to certain forms of leukemia (although the evidence is not robust). I hope this information proves useful. I'd be more than happy to answer any other concerns you have on this and other nutritional topics. Take care.

Do chain's stay open after almost a year? If so, thank you for the information, FVPMD, concerning sucrose's being the chemical name for sugar. Concerning stevia, I usually have mine brought in from Bolivia. While on vacation in Sucre several years ago, I surveyed their pharmacies and central market and looking for the brand that was closest to "pure" stevia and eventually found it. It is powdered and sweetens very well. So apparently not only the liquid forms can be closer to pure. Unfortunately the company who makes it , Dul-c, does not answer inquiries about where to buy their product in Argentina. I wonder if anyone happens to know where to buy the purest powdered stevia?

Try Club Saludable at Callao 836, which has the largest selection of any dietetica in the city. If they don't have it, no one does.

Back