Still Asking Myself...

frouk

Registered
Hi everyone,

I am French, just graduated of a master degree, and I have a job opportunity in a consulting company in Buenos Aires.

This looks quite exciting for me :) , but I am still asking myself :confused: :
- Can I find a apartment quite easily there ?
- About the cost of the life there, can I live quite well with a 2000 US$ salary (gross :D) ?

If some of you can help me with these questions, thank you :)

ull live awesome down here with a 2000 US salary as long as they dont pay the crap peso conversion

Depends on if you're getting paid in Dollars or in the Peso equivalent at the official exchange rate. If the latter is the case, 9500 pesos per month isn't too bad for a lower middle class existence but you will be living paycheck to paycheck.

Unless you're young and just doing it for the adventure I personally wouldn't do it. I'm sure there are plenty much better higher paying options in that social democratic haven you call France with it's ironclad corruption free economy ;)

Do it.

Stop asking questions and just do it.

You will get all the info you need on this forum. Don't rent from the tourist sites or you will spend all your dough on rent.

Does that mean they are going to pay you down here in to an account?

So, if thats at the official rate that would be around 9200 pesos gross a month, plus 13th bonus month salary (aguinaldo, payable in 2 parts one in middle and other at end of the year). After you take out everything else, it works out to be about 7000 pesos a month in the hand (see below calculator).

http://www.ramsal.com/cgi-bin/ar1.cgi

Whats the deal with your accommodation etc? If you have to pay for it yourself, and (I assume you dont have a garantia), it is relatively more expensive to rent a furnished apartment.

If you Gross $9500 pesos per month, you will net at most $7600 deduct $4200 for rent (US$700 x 6 pesos per dollar) for a furnished studio. You have 3400 pesos left for all other expenses or $113 pesos per day? Consider a minimum expense of $40 pesos per day for food! Hence you must exist on $73 pesos per day.

Look for something else! 2k p/m (gross) is certainly not a working away from home/relocating salary. You're certainly not going to enjoy it here on that. If they include your accommodation and give you an expense account you might be ok, but, just on the salary; no way.

Pas assez, La moitié au moins pars en logement. Le reste s'en fuit vite en terre inconnue.

Veulliez excuser le manque d'accents.

[sup]This is an ok salary if you have no experience in your field and are looking at it more as a cultural experience. BA is not cheaper than most south european countries - or any east european countries and more expensive than South Africa (great country to be an expat btw). My brother-in-law and his mid 20's friends make similar salaries but all live at home with their parents. If you go with some savings and a working-holday attitude it will be great fun but if you need the money or some stability then perhaps better to look elswhere. I personally wouldn't ever work for pesos, if you are going to work for $2000 USD per month make sure it is USD![/sup]

A slightly different angle on this. Imho, we all have differing types of personalities and it can vary how we either resonate or not with a place. Having been to several places I have personally found this to be the case. In my opinion I see this to also be an important factor. Obviously it is hard for you to know if you have not been to a place yet, but it is something to keep in mind, to have the flexibility enough to move on if need be.
Currently for me at this time finances are mostly a top factor, more real than whether or not I resonate in a place or not unfortunately, but if finances are mostly handled (and yes $2000US @ blue rate would be plenty) then I see how a person fits or not in a place as an important consideration as well.
In summary, have a backup plan in case you get here and find you and BA just not clicking properly. You may do very well and I wish the best for you, but just saying something to keep in mind. Imho, compared to when I lived here at other times, there is a different type of feel in the air this time around (but also is the case in other parts of the world as well).
Best to you either way.

Back