Still Hope For A Better Government, By Robert Cox

I have never met the guy, and didn't have time to even go check out his Wikipedia article mentioned in the OP.

I don't mean to be disrepectful of either the author, the article, or anyone else, but I do have a comment. He uses the words "wishful thinking", or words to similar effect, quite often. In fact, the article itself is really of that bent. The title is "Still hope for better gov't in 2015" but all he gave us was a recap of how much of what he thought he saw good in the past years was, in reality, wishful thinking. Without even a suggestion as to where or how such a government would emerge, a hope for better government seems to be just as wishful.

The Kirchners have battered the institutions of democracy here, and there's no doubt they haven't been completely razed. But if things continue the way they have been, with leaders who run roughshod over the weakened structure, with real recovery looking to be a long process after who-knows-what the "bottom" looks like, how long would it take to bring the house down after Cristina leaves?
Fair point El Queso, but maybe he only points out that 'if only' is seared into the Argentine dna.

It really doesn't matter who will be in power ... they will inherit the makings of this government. The most pressing issue is the drop in Dollar reserves with few practical answers on how to reverse that trend. Even if they manage to work out an IMF loan that might be U$1 Billion. That's good for a couple of weeks. Then what? Now they are paying interest. Getting Dollars for oil or natural gas is a long-term project. They need Dollars now and lots of them.

It really doesn't matter who will be in power ... they will inherit the makings of this government. The most pressing issue is the drop in Dollar reserves with few practical answers on how to reverse that trend. Even if they manage to work out an IMF loan that might be U$1 Billion. That's good for a couple of weeks. Then what? Now they are paying interest. Getting Dollars for oil or natural gas is a long-term project. They need Dollars now and lots of them.

But the only alternative is to discourage investment, because dollars are not nac y pop.

Even with dollars for crude oil or natural gas, you don't build a healthy trade balance by exporting raw materials or commodities. You build a healthy trade balance by importing raw materials and exporting finished goods. And that basic fact has been true at least since the industrial revolution.

Even with dollars for crude oil or natural gas, you don't build a healthy trade balance by exporting raw materials or commodities. You build a healthy trade balance by importing raw materials and exporting finished goods. And that basic fact has been true at least since the industrial revolution.

You don't build it by actively discouraging investment either.

You don't build it by actively discouraging investment either.

That depends. Foreign investment is very much against the interests of any nation, and simply represents a form of economic neo-colonialism. Loans from the IMF or World Bank are also a death trap, as both are simply tools of control by the international bankers mafia.

That depends. Foreign investment is very much against the interests of any nation, and simply represents a form of economic neo-colonialism. Loans from the IMF or World Bank are also a death trap, as both are simply tools of control by the international bankers mafia.

So, it's better that nobody has confidence in the country?

This is a country that can't figure out how to keep the power on, let alone create domestic industries. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Baby steps. :)

over·sim·pli·fy

: to describe (something) in a way that does not include all the facts and details and that causes misunderstanding

OK, at least to a small extent, you got me there.

Small businesses started by expats are not foreign investment in the sense of which I spoke. I was talking about huge multinational corporations. Allowing Exxon to get in bed with YPF, for example, is a very bad idea in the long run, however much it may help in the short run.

Having said that, thorsten, allow me to point out that this venue does not really encourage full explanations. Everyone over simplifies here, some more than others. And if you have a real problem with oversimplification, why don't you object to jokie and his endless one-liners? Double standard much?

Back